Friday, September 05, 2008

Friday - Thank God

Last night, as I was tucking in Kelton, I mentioned how happy I was that the next day was Friday because I was ready to have him home for a few days. He looked up with eyes as wide as saucers and said "Why can't I go to school on Saturday?"

Because there isn't any, I explained. "Why?" he demanded.

I guess it's fair to assume he is enjoying school.


Just a few minutes ago we had a meltdown scene at the bus stop when he asked another parent if he could have a play date at their house after school today. I intervened and said "That sounds like a fun idea but not tonight. It's family night." Oh dear. Such drama. Such tears.

But of course it doesn't help that the boy was holding six party invitations for a birthday party Kelton has been attending since he was two. The invites aren't addressed to anyone - the birthday boy can choose whomever he wants to give them to and when Kelton asked if he was going to be invited, the boy said "Maybe. I don't know yet."

I'm more than ok with no invite but I'm afraid it will crush my son. And I guess that the Mother Bear in me is thinking "You better invite him you, ungrateful child. It's OUR door you repeatedly show up at unannounced for play dates and it's US who doesn't turn you away even though it pisses me off that you just arrive without calling to set something up. It's me who watches over you for hours on end whenever your parents say "Sure- go across the street and play for a while." So ummm yeah - you probably should invite Kelton to your party. I'm just saying.

But bigger than that - the whole school birthday party circuit annoys the crap out of me. I am against invitations being handed out to "the chosen few" at school while other kids watch and have their hearts broken while wondering why they aren't good enough to be invited. There should be a class listing with parents email address and home addresses and invites should be mandated to go out that way.

Sure - I know. Life is harsh and not being invited to things is a lesson we all learn. And yet - it doesn't make it right nor easy. Maybe we, as parents, could figure out a different way to invite people to parties (or, like me, just not have friend parties for birthday which I know isn't a good choice for some people who may live far from family and therefore don't have the opportunity for family parties). Maybe we could, as a group, decide that the game of "Am I a lucky chosen one? Am I popular enough? Am I liked enough?" on the playground needs to end.

Rant over. Like I said - it's been am emotionally draining week around here. I'm a bit of a "Mama Bear". Oh right - and don't get me started about how my child came home with his entire lunch uneaten yesterday because the milk line was too long and lunch was over by the time he got to buy his milk. Oh yeah - I went "Mama Bear" on the school and his teacher who were very understanding and said they would make sure the all the kids had a chance to eat today even if that meant eating in their classrooms. I'm sure it was much more traumatic for me than it was for Kelton but seriously? Nine hours without food, and on your second full day of school, seems so, so, so wrong.

I need the weekend. He may not - but *I* do.

9 comments:

Lynilu said...

I never allowed my kids to hand out things at school unless everyone in the class got one. We hand delivered them otherwise. Just makes for good relationships and a clear conscience. Of course, the trouble is it seems fewer and fewer have one of those these days! Ouch! I surely sound cynical, don't I?

A Jersey Girl said...

We got a note home that said if we were going to send invitations to school that they had to be for A) All boys B) all girls or C) the entire class or to otherwise make other arrangements to invite people.

Declan told me today that he and Killi could no longer ride the bus because the older kids, that they have to sit on the back of the bus with because we are the last stop, are picking on them and he started to cry today because they were so mean to his sister! So, um, I know the "Mamma Bear" thing.

Some parents, I just don't get it!
Enjoy the weekend!

Emily

Audra said...

I think that is so rude to only give your kid 6 invites and then just say "Have it at!" growing up my mom always invited the whole class (we had a pool, so we always just had big bbq pool parties) because my mom didnt want to exclude anyone. I agree, if they are limiting the number of invites, she should have mailed them or something. i hope kelton gets one!

Mimi said...

I totaly agree with you about the invite thing.....just like in gym class the damn teacher would pick 2 children to pick the teams.....oh how that last child must of felt when the one team had to take them!!!! Hate to tell but your mama bear will be flaired up many times more...hell my daughter is 29 and I still get upset with some stuff....now I have the grand children to deal with omg....I won't make it

Stacey said...

that is not very nice to have the party invitations given out like that. i would be upset too. poor kelton.

Perrin said...

Oh the invitation torment. Corinne had one girl hold a Xmas party invite over her head for a whole month. Everyday was tears or joy if she was on the current list. It's a tough one.

Catherine said...

I am glad Kelton likes school. Sucky, about the birthday party. the kids should have away of passing them around outside of school. Birthday parties are the biggest social cache in elementary. Kids should not have to feel left out. I would be sad too!

Anonymous said...

Wow, We just went through the same thing. My first grader also ran out of time to eat lunch. He also came home with his pb&j, chips, apple etc. I was so mad. He said he couldn't get his milk open or his chips. Poor boy. I felt so bad. Oh, and I TOTALLY agree with you on the birthday thing. Actually, my son's school sends out a letter about b-days and invites. They are NOT to come to school nor is your child to even talk about his/her party at school. I just loved it. I also have watched my son NOT get invited to things and it just breaks my heart. So, I praised the school for taking action on something that can be a very difficult situation. These kids are young and they don't need such drama.

Heidi

Monogram Queen said...

Oh boy I dread the invitation thing too. Madison's birthday is coming up and I have to tread very lightly but everything you said was a very valid, good point!