Friday, September 12, 2008

The Darn Birthday Party - Again

The drama is almost too much.

Last night, after arriving home from my first PTO meeting (Parent Teacher Organization: more on that another time) we discovered a birthday party invitation wedged in the door. You guessed it. The neighbor boy. Ugh.

It irritated me so much - I just can't even tell you. The party was 36 hours from the time we opened the invitation. The invitations at school were handed out last Friday. Yesterday was Thursday. Can you say "after thought"? You know - because Kelton wouldn't have already noticed the other kids getting their invites last week and well..neither would I since I was at the bus stop with the boy *and* his father the day he took them to school.

So fine and dandy. Whatever. I have the urge to boycott on principle. My principle. Which isn't fair to Kelton. I hate that sometimes I have to rise above and be the bigger person when really what I want to say is "For the love of all that is fair and right.....this is ridiculous and we will not be a pawn in whatever game your son is playing." But there is Kelton to consider. He was overjoyed that the invitation arrived and, bless his heart, tried his best to convince me/him/whoever that he wasn't left out, just "saved for last". He, being of pure heart, doesn't see it the same way I do.

So today, in addition to the other 5,000 things I need to get done, I have to find time to go to the store to spend money I don't want to spend on a gift I don't want to buy.

But I will because it is the right thing to do for my son. Even though I don't want to.

But I'm still pissed about the whole thing.

8 comments:

Mimi said...

I agree...so many times I had to bite my tongue......Kelton will figure him out one day.......

Tanya said...

I'm glad he was so excited. Sounds like mom/dad asked who the kid had chosen to invite and then so "oh no, march right over there and..."

Heck I remember telling you all about how disappointed I was when my friend didn't invite us to her daughters birthday. It just hurts when you've been included all this time.

A Jersey Girl said...

You are a better person than I, as I am not sure I could push past my own anger for the good of my child! You are AWESOME!

Jen said...

That sucks all around. I'm glad Kelton doesn't "get" it though. What is wrong with that kid's parents??

Froggymama said...

What a kid...saved the best for last. I agree. Whether the "kid" knew it or not, he did save the best for last. And that's wonderful you're being the bigger person...just get him a really crappy gift. Ha, just kidding.

Sheri said...

Oh my ... I'm sooo stuck for a "how to be proper" response ... but seriously??? ... shoved in the door? ... I think that would have bothered me the most, especially when he lives that close.

All that said ... I hope Kelton has a good time--he deserves to!

Catherine said...

I would feel the same way.

Monogram Queen said...

Yes i'd be pissed too but mimi is right, Kelton will get that kids number one day.