Thursday, September 11, 2008

Ballet and Tap Class

Today was the first ballet and tap class for Kaylen. This day has been months and months in the waiting and all morning I heard "Is it time, yet?" "Can we go now?" Finally - it was time. We drove the 15 minutes to the neighboring town to the only place around who will teach there year olds. We walked up to the door and Kaylen excitedly jabbered on and on and on. We meet her teacher and... for some reason she melted into a puddle of hysteria. Oh the tears! I carried her back to the room talking softly about "let's just go see the room" and "I think you're going to like it once you see the other little girls here" and anything else I could think of to keep her sheer panic in check. I could see the $58 tuition fee flying up, up and away and I so didn't want her to fail herself. I couldn't help but feel her pain though. We were the first ones there so I held her and walked around the room, talking about everything I saw. Finally she raised her wet little face off my shoulder to look. Others started to arrive and most of them were saying things like "I don't want to do this." "Let's go home." and other things of the like. Kaylen started to sob again begging me to take her home. I stood my ground for a few minutes and tried to talk her into her ballet shoes. The teacher came over and asked her what color tu-tu she would like but Kaylen buried herself further into me and kept repeating "I want to go home! Please!" Her teacher said "You know, if she would like she could just watch today while she sits on your lap." Kaylen's head tentatively raised an inch or so. I asked if she would like that and she nodded yes. Then she choose the purple tu-tu.

She hated her ballet shoes. Which is odd since she has gone through three pair exactly like them at home. I put my hand in them though to find that along the stitching there were hard places that poked my hand. Great. There goes another $18. I'd have to try to fix them to her satisfaction later. I let her go without shoes. We went up to the front of the room where the other little girls on the verge of breakdowns were sitting on laps in the circle and we joined. Little by little she started joining in for the warm ups. Slowly I backed up until I was a good two feet away. Other mothers were doing the same with their daughters. Kaylen remained hesitant but I quietly cheered her on and before long, she was participating and having fun! I was so happy I could have cried! Then out came the tap shoes. She happily put her pair on and all the girls noisily traipsed around the room. Oh my goodness - far and away the 15 minutes of tap was my favorite part! The girls were so happy to be making noise and Kaylen was animated and happy. I took some photos though they aren't very good. But seriously? Isn't she just the cutest? :)

9 comments:

Jen said...

CUTE! I'm so glad it worked out, and that she wasn't the only kid freaking out. That always makes you feel a lot more normal, doesn't it? ;) I know I LOVE it when my kid isn't the only one melting down.

How often is it?

Casey said...

Fern: Totally helps when other kids are melting down and other moms are looking uncomfortable. :) The class is every Thursday for 45 minutes. It's month to month so if she likes it, I can renew for next month (the first month is $58 but other months are $38 which would help. Still - a lot of $ *sigh*)

Kristen said...

I'm signing Audrey up for some ballet/tap classes for October. I can't wait! I think our classes are $30 with an annual "materials" fee which I think is $15 or something. But, like the visa commercials say, "priceless".

Tanya said...

Too cute. I'm sure the tears are why no one else will do lessons so young. I would love to do Karate for J

Mimi said...

My granddaughter just started ballet 3 weeks ago.....she's 2 1/2 the first week she just sat on her mat and cried...(the parents weren't aloud to go in) the second week she told the teacher she WASN'T dancing until her mommy told her to.....the teacher went out and got my daughter to come in.....the THIRD clas she did great my daughte said omg it was the best one ever....good god these little ones are put in a room with people they don't know hell yeah there scared....at lease you were aloud to stay in the class with her.....let me tell you if I would of went I would of been i that class room I don't care what the teacher would of said

A Jersey Girl said...

Hooray for Kaylen(and Mom:)! you made it through the first class. I hope each week gets better and better.


Emily

Julie said...

Cute pictures!!!

Froggymama said...

Adorable.

Monogram Queen said...

Whew I was holding my breath for you. We were very nervous last year when Maddie started and she wasn't overly enthusiastic her first class but Thank God loves it and I hope Kaylen does too. It's so good for them!