Tuesday, October 09, 2007

She's Gone


Tazzy, true to her independent nature, chose to leave this earth on her own terms and alone. Dakota went into the vet's office to sign in and take care of all the paperwork and left Taz in her carrier in the car. Taz was clearly dying in front of our eyes this morning and for about 10 minutes I thought a trip was going to be unnecessary. Her cries through spurred us into action because we didn't want to force her to linger and she was clearly in pain.

When Dakota went out to the car to get her (she left her there to spare her unneeded jostling and stress since she was in pain) Taz was dead.

We believe she chose that time to go. Alone. She had come out to find us this morning in the living room and allowed us to see she needed help. Then she let us all say goodbye but then she wanted to get away from us. We closed all the room doors so she couldn't go hide under a bed but left her alone until it was time to put her in the carrier. She clearly didn't want us with her even then so really, it doesn't surprise me that we saw her chance to go on her own terms and alone and took it.

We are all really going to miss her. As obnoxious as she was known to be, she had been with me 6 months before I met Dakota. Taz has been a big part of our life - which says a lot for a 7lb cat. Sure, she may have been a wee little thing but her heart was as big as the world.

Even though she was an indoor only cat - her heart longed to be outside. This summer I decided to stop fighting the cats and let them have outside time in the backyard (supervised) only. They loved it but none more than Taz. I'm so glad I gave her a summer of outside. She loved lying under the trees and play structure and she loved playing chase a a stick with the kids and she loved, loved, loved being in my lap on the swing and soaking up the sun. We all love you, Taz!

18 comments:

Jen said...

We are taking our cat Tigger on Thursday...she's not eating or using the litter box... I'm sorry for your loss...I understand completely.

Shannon said...

Oh, I'm so sorry. We lost our Taz cat last November and it's so, so hard. We still talk about him all the time! So sorry for your loss.

yankeegirl said...

Casey- I'm so sorry. ((hugs))

Audra said...

I'm so sorry for you and your family. (((hugs)))

Perrin said...

So sorry to hear it Casey. YOu guys have had way more than your fair share of loss.

Sheri said...

I am so sorry. I know how special she was to you by the brief chance we got to see her at playgroup. You are all in my prayers.

Caroline said...

I am so sorry to hear about Taz. Sending you lots of hugs.

Kristen said...

Casey, I'm so sorry. Hugs to you and your family. She was a beautiful cat

((hugs))

Anonymous said...

Awww! Casey! I'm so sorry!!

Big hugs for you and the kids too!

Brenda said...

I'm so, so sorry Casey. (((hugs)))

Pam said...

I am so sorry Casey. I love my kitty so much, I can imagine how difficult it must be.

Froggymama said...

Casey, I'm so sorry about your kitty. It sounds like she had a good life and was very loved.

momtothreeboys said...

Man, that sucks! I'm so sorry! And I know how you feel - we lost our Sadie Dog not too long ago. It's tough losing a pet. Hope the kids are handling it okay. Huge Hugs!

Lynilu said...

Sorry, Casey. It is hard to face the end of the journey with anyone we love, whether they have two or four legs. Thank goodness we have the memories. And I'm glad she had the summer, too. Hugs from my house to yours. :')

Unknown said...

Im so sorry to hear about Taz. We just lost our last cat three weeks ago, and I lost my "first child" cat 3 years ago November 3. I still remember it like yesterday, and it is still hard. You sounded like you handled it well, letting her die the way she wanted to... that had to of helped at least a little with your grief. Its hard to let go. Please know I am here for you and your family! Jeri

Monogram Queen said...

Awww RIP Tazz I am so sorry. It's so hard to lose a good pet and it seems so unfair to me that their lifespans are so short compared to ours. I guess that's another life lesson though.

Stacey said...

I'm so sorry for your loss. It's so hard to lose a pet--a member of the family. They live such short lives in comparison but I am sure Taz lead a very happy life in your loving family. She was a lucky cat.

Melanie said...

Casey - my thoughts are with you! I am very sorry to hear about Taz. She knew you loved her...