Tuesday, October 16, 2007

A Mother's Work Is Never Finished

Or maybe that should read "No good deed goes unpunished."

The kids were each busy - Kelton doing an art project at the kitchen table and Kaylen watching Dora in the living room - which made it a perfect time to sweep and mop the kitchen floor. I get to work feeling quite proud of myself because getting it done before dinner is sure to make the after dinner chore time that much easier.

So there I am, mopping away when suddenly I hear Kaylen calling to me. Only...she isn't calling from the next room. I go to find her and she is in my bedroom standing on the treadmill covered from head to toe in white creamy lotion. One quick survey around the room left me feeling like I wanted to run away from home. Lotion everywhere. Everywhere. The dresser, the bed, the pillows, the lampshade, the bedside table, the treadmill...all of it covered in small white, greasy hand prints.

I wiped her down first and sent her to sit on her bed while I worked at cleaning up the room. When I had a mound of laundry to wash (so much for having fewer chores to do this evening) and had done the best I could with wiping the hand prints off of things like the lampshade (ummm...yeah. Good thing we have new bedside lamps sitting the garage waiting to be installed on the wall because that lotion is never coming off the fabric black shades. I just turned it so the least of the damage is outward.) I went into her room and asked if she knew why I sent her to her room.

She said "Yes mommy. Me leave prints, prints, prints everywhere." I asked if she understood that it was wrong of her to have done that. Yes, she knew. She even apologized to me.

I hugged her and sent her on her way to play.

Prints prints prints everywhere. Indeed.

11 comments:

Anonymous said...

I know this situation all too well. The first moment you walk into the room containing the disaster du jour is, well, overwhelming.

At least you have a good sense of humor.

Caroline said...

I am sorry, but I couldn't help laughing. It really sounds like Kaylen keeps you on your toes.

Did you happen to take any pictures??? :)

Perrin said...

We had that situation with sunscreen. Stains remain 2 years later. Fun fun!

Lynilu said...

I guess I was just very lucky. My kids never did one of those numbers on me. The grandkids did the powder thing to my daughter, but that's as close as I've come. And I'm feeling pretty smug about it, too!! :)(:

Casey said...

Kristen: After. I had a good sense of humor about it afterwards. :) Kids - what can you do? :)

Caroline: Nope - no pictures. I didn't even think about photos until after I had cleaned it up. And yes, that girl keeps me on my toes. That is an absolute.

Perrin: It's strangely comforting to know I'm not alone. Thanks! :)

Lynilu: I would love to send my two to visit sometime. I mean, I'd hate for you to miss out on all the fun! :) :) :) I had the powder thing with kelton - loved the way his room smelled for months after that but it was a mess to clean up.

Sheri said...

OH MY! We have only recently discovered the idea of "handprints" on the shower doors ... I don't think I could have remained as calm as you sounded in your blog (or were you?). For some reason, I can't help wondering, how does a child go from watching Dora to decorating with lotion ? At least your room has been sufficiently moisturized! :-)

Melanie said...

Right now I am laughing at Sheri's comment! You guys are all so funny. Casey - you are NEVER alone when it comes to "the things kids do". Yesterday, Evan decided to lift up my shirt and stick his hands up there - in the middle of the post office!!! Aahhh - terror!!

Mimi said...

Why is it the children ALWAYS seem to move the fastest when we're NOT looking????? Any other time you have to keep saying....come on keep up go faster etc.....lol...never happened to me but hey now I have grandchildren, my time is a coming.....

Monogram Queen said...

That child KILLS me! Mine acts the same way. You have to really hide the laughter when they've done wrong.
Prints, prints, prints everywhere!

Shannon said...

That sucks for you, but it was really, really funny to read about. ;)

Casey said...

Sheri: Kids are tricky little things. :) I'm not sure what she went looking for that had her end up in my room but from there it must have been an easy jump: "hey look! A lotion bottle on the dresser. I like lotion....." :) I wasn't *not* calm but I did say "Kaylen Lane - what have you done??: in a slightly loud voice. :)

Melanie: Ok - *that* made me laugh! :)

Patti: Yes, though sometimes all you *can* do is laugh. :)

Shannon: Glad I could brighten your day. :)