Friday, October 19, 2007

Puddle Stomping


If you have been reading my blog for any length of time then you know my kids LOVE to stomp in puddles. You also probably remember that it is known to rain like crazy where we live. I confess that we have always encouraged puddle stomping, and rain walks and standing under gutters....anything that sounds like fun and is safe is fair game when the rain starts falling. Only......there is a downside to the rain games we have always played.

And that downside would be school.

It's been raining for days here. Days. So just imagine if you will the size of the puddles all over the school grounds. Kelton came home from school yesterday soaking wet and not that it would matter if he wore tennis shoes but he wears Crocs and well - they have holes by design. Imagine how incredible wet his feet had been for half the morning? I'm tempted to throw in extra shoes and socks so that he has the option to change after recess but I know him - he won't do it. Not that the teacher would probably allow time for that anyway. Sure, boots would be an option but again, I know my kid.

While Kaylen and I were waiting for him to get out of school yesterday she spied a gigantic puddle and headed straight for it. The shocked gasps of the other parents made my laugh out loud. One mom said "You are a better mom then me. That would NOT be happening with my child." I laughed, shrugged and said "We let them do that all the time." Of course I was thinking "Not now Kaylen! Now I have to strip you down before I can put you in your seat so you don't fuss all the way home." But really - she was only doing what she knows and what she loves.

This morning I stuck rain boots on her feet so she could puddle jump while we waited for the school doors to open. She had a great time and Kelton understood that he had to wait until at least recess to jump.

Sure, most of the parents and teachers would probably rather have
Celine Dion tickets than have kids jump in puddles but you know, childhood is so fleeting and I think they should grab their fun and happiness where they can. And I know that as a child there wasn't much that was better or more satisfying than jumping in a huge puddle and getting soaked to the bone.

So jump away kids....you have mommy's blessing and complete permission. :)

5 comments:

Frazzled Mom said...

LOL - puddles are like magnets to kids. How CAN you keep them out? It is impossible.

Shannon said...

You're a cool mom. :)

Sheri said...

Can we come play on your street? Ours is just too busy. And I second Shannon's comment ... you ARE a cool mom! :-)

Casey said...

Frazzled: It IS impossible. :)

Shannon: Ah thanks! :)


Sheri: Any time. You know the way. :)

Monogram Queen said...

You are a very good Mom and I agree with you 100%. I let Maddie get as dirty as she wants and make sure she is wearing clothing that I don't care if she gets wet. Kids need to enjoy themselves and find joy where they can.