Sunday, October 07, 2007

Autumn Nights

It's raining again tonight. Not all that unusual for this area but I have to admit, it's a bit of a shift to make after no rain for so many months. I like it - make no mistake but it's a shift, none-the-less.

We went to the mall this afternoon just for the fun of it and when we were in one of the stores we could hear the rain pouring down so loudly that we all had to stop and listen. It was amazing and I love the way the kids eyes light up when they realize that loud noise is the rain. While we were at the mall the kids rode the train and carousel, a few kiddie rides, played a few games at the arcade, picked up some candy at the candy store, played in the play area and even went to the library and checked out some books. And oh yes, we also had dinner. Going to the mall is an event for our family - it's almost like going to a small town. *grin*

It was still raining hard when we left which forced us all to make a mad dash for the car. We drove home in a downpour and we were all left giggling as we raced for the porch. After we put stuff in the house Dakota came up with the idea of letting the kids run out into the yard and dance in he ran and stomp in as many puddles and they could. It was time for bath anyway so why not? Kaylen took her up on the offer and the two of them chased each other around the yard and stomped in the water rushing down the street gutter. They looked like drowned rats when they came back inside (I watched all the fun from the safety of the semi-dry porch).

Kaylen was so cold when she came back in, as was Dakota. I was chilly, that's for sure. The dampness in the air makes everything feel so....well....fall-ish. It's nights like these that I sometimes wish we had fire glass to sit around and warm up by.

But alas; we don't, so a warm bath had to do.

Now the kids are fast asleep and I can still hear the rain falling. As much as I love the rain, I wouldn't mind having a bright, beautiful, crisp day tomorrow. All the leaves are turning such brilliant colors and I would love to take the kids out in the yard and gather up some leaves. Kaylen found a really amazing one earlier today - a big red and orange colored leaf. She carried it with her everywhere - and yes, that included on the carousel. :)

6 comments:

Sheri said...

Sounds like a great day! I wish we could do that ... but I have a crowd-a-phobic in my house. I didn't see the carousel and train last time I was there. Is it only open on the weekends, or did they move it?

Lynilu said...

I love it when it rains like that. Now, if it goes on for days, it begins to lose the charm! Our past year has been very wet, especially for NM, a very good thing, and I have enjoyed every bit of it. No, I didn't go dancing in the rain, but I did listen and smile.

Monogram Queen said...

I want some crisp fall weather and beautiful fall foliage so bad right now i'm about to CRY. Damn 90 degree temps are RIDICULOUS in October!

Keri said...

What a beautiful day! Thanks for sharing all the details.

Shannon said...

I love how you describe everything so well. Your kids are really going to appreciate that you've got a record of their childhood. This post was really beautiful, I could picture everything!

Casey said...

Sheri: They moved it. It's right next to Macy's now where the old furniture store used to be. I think it's a much nicer space. I think it's open every day like it used to be.

Lynilu: Well what are you waiting for? Get out there and dance! :)

Patti: UGH! I would be so over the hot days but now. We've had years like that - I much prefer the cool days of October. Hope you get some soon.

Keri: Glad you enjoyed it - thanks for reading it and saying so. It means a lot to me.

Shannon: Thank you - that was incredibly kind of you.