Thursday, October 18, 2007

Rosie's Book: Celebrity Detox

Has anyone else read this book yet? I confess, I enjoyed it a lot and I could relate to it. There was one part when I read it I said "That is SO me!" and I wanted to share it here. I didn't know if that would be copyright infringement or not (I don't think so but what do I know? I'm not the law student. *grin*) so I took a chance and wrote to Rosie in the Ask Ro section of her blog. I wasn't really expecting an answer considering she gets thousands of questions a day (and yes, I go daily and read her answers). Imagine my surprise and shock when I was reading the answers last night and happened upon MINE! I think I almost fell off my chair.

It said:
************************
Casey writes:

May I quote a small piece of your book on my blog? I loved what you wrote and identify well with it.

yup
***********************

So here goes:

The last time we went to Mexico. I was trying to finish a book when one of the staff members approached us on the beach. "Phone," he said. I looked over at Kel. It had happened, no doubt. A crisis of epic proportion. My children. A child. What?

Kel got up and walked into the hotel lobby, avoiding my eyes. I interpreted this to mean she had to look away from me, because she was scared too. I absolutely knew it. Our life as we have lived it was ending.

It took her about eleven minutes to come back to the reading spot. I knew this because I did Mississippi to sixty eleven times. I do not wear a watch.

Now Kel was walking towards me very slowly She didn't want to alarm me; it was obvious. She was trying to put the sentences together in a way I would be able to hear. I would scream, pound my chest, and try to drown myself in the sea as soon as she gave me the news. No eye contact yet, this was worst than I expected. She stared at the ground and came around to her chair, wiping the sand off with a towel. "Stalling," I thought. "She must be stalling." She wouldn't even look at me!

Now my heart was about to explode. I deserved this, whatever it was. The moment stretched to an eternity. Kel sat down, closed her eyes.

"What?" I screamed at her.

"What what?" she said calmly.

"The phone," I grunted through gritted teeth.

"The plane is at ten," she said, "instead of nine."

Then she picked up her Oprah Book Club novel and resumed reading.

I watched her. She sat totally unaware of all I had just been through. She read, my Kelli, my happy, non-neurotic partner. Thank God for her. She does not think that by some miracle of fate we were once again spared, but only for a moment. She thinks we are basically safe. I think so long as we have children we will always be living on the edge.


-Rosie O'Donnell, Celebrity Detox page 191-192




I can so relate to this. I always, always expect the news to be bad especially when it comes to the safety of my children. Dakota, on the other hand, is blissfully unaware of the turmoil life causes me because she believes you just move ahead believing it will all be ok. I, on the other hand, feel like if I prepare for the worst it either won't happen or I will be braced (HA!) for when it does happen. Maybe I think fretting and worrying and doing all I can to ensure their safety will keep them safe. I think Rosie's line of "I think as long as we have children we will always be living on the edge." is profound and dead on for me.

I loved this book but then, I really enjoy Rosie. Say what you will but I think she rocks and I love knowing that she is as neurotic as I am. :)

10 comments:

Sheri said...

I love when I find something that I can relate to ... a book, a movie, a TV show. That's so great that Rosie gave you green light to excerpt this part of the book. I was wondering how many scenarios you ended up recalling that were similar to this one *grin*

I don't keep up with celebrity news or talk shows, so I'm a bit out of the Rosie loop. But, I do have a favorite Rosie (aka Doris Murphy) quote from A League of Their Own ... "Let's make like a bread truck and haul buns." Kinda sums up me always rushing from one place to another :-)

Mimi said...

Thank god I'm not the only one who does this.....to make a long story short...I babysit my granddaughter one day a week (my daughter workds nights as a nurse only two days a week) my son in law is ALWAYS on time (unlike my daughter) well they were do at my house by 6 am...6 came and went 6:15 finlly at 6:30 I called their house no answer...6:45...7:00 finally I call my husband at work asking should I be scared?? give them til 7:15 then call him back....7:15 no granddaughter I'm still calling home cell phone no answer now I'm scare to death!!!my daughter called at 7;15 and said mom they over slept....hell I wanted to throw up!!! never so scared in my life on the other hand my husband is like why are you like that??? but he was going to call the police to check on them because he was a little scared also I found out later!!!!!

Monogram Queen said...

How cool is that?! (that she replied not that you are both neurotic LOL). I think Stac and I are sort of like that too. I'm very matter of fact and he's like "You don't care!". Um, yes I do but freaking out isn't solving anything LOL
I like Rosie too and totally don't get why so many people slam her.

Dakota said...

Rosie does rock. You are both neurotic. I love you, anyway. *grin*

Stacey said...

That's cool that you can identify with her and her new book. It's always nice to know that you're not alone in your quirks and way of thinking. ;)

Pam said...

I saw that question yesterday ( I completely heart Rosie!). I paused and thought about you and if it was yours because something just told me it could be. Then I convinced myself that it couldn't be. That is so awesome. I have asked one question, but I didn't make the cut :(

Frazzled Mom said...

I love Rosie too. I can't wait to read her book.

Shannon said...

I'm exactly the same, always worrying and expecting something bad to happen. And Kim, of course, is not like that at all. Thank goodness she's not. We balance each other out.

I love Rosie too.

Froggymama said...

Wow, that's so funny. Because my husband and I are complete opposites when it comes to the worry factor. The dog could be running into the street, while a mac truck comes barreling down, and while I'm sweating and screaming, FD will barely look up and say, "he'll make it." I on the other hand, with Froggy and the pets rush them to the doc and vet for a hangnail. I guess someone has to be the neurotic one. But I have a sneaking suspicion the worryfree partner has more fun.

Julie said...

Rosie rocks!! I thought I was the only one who still liked her. Anyway, I totally get your worrying ways. I can't help but worry, ALL THE TIME! I hate it, but just can't seem to stop.