Monday, October 15, 2007

Pumpkin Patches Galore!

This is the year for pumpkin patch trips! This past weekend the kids and I traveled 4.5 hours to my brother's house without Dakota (who we left behind so that she could get in some serious study time) and we ended up going to not one, but two pumpkin patches! It was so much fun and the kids had a blast.

Friday we went to the place that was closest to my brother's house. The weather was spectacular and there wasn't anyone else searching for pumpkins so we had the place to ourselves. This kids went nuts - well, I guess more accurately, Kelton went nuts. He wanted practically every one that he saw. He ended up with a white one and a gigantic orange one. Kaylen decided that she would take whichever one she could lift. "Just my size, Mommy!" She picked on small orange one and two tiny white ones. She wanted to paint hers though so that required some fast thinking. We stopped at a store and was directly to another shop that had an art supply section. We scored with glitter paint!

Kelton wanted his pumpkin carved his a scary face. The only glitch in his plan is that he can't stand pumpkin guts so it was mommy to the rescue which in and of itself was pretty funny since I haven't carved a pumpkin since well....ummm...it's been at least 12 years though I think much longer. Pumpkin fun is Dakota's thing and I'm happy to let her have it. But - what could I do? I had to jump in and help. I did the best I could and he was happy. In the end, that's what matters. :)

Cara helped Kaylen with her carved pumpkin. Kaylen wanted a happy face and Cara did a great job on it. We left Kelton's behind to help decorate James' and Cara's house but Kaylen couldn't part with hers so it made the trip home.



The next day we went to the farm near my sister's house and we were joined by my sister, brother-in-law, the two cousins and my dad. The four kids had a great time together running through the maze, shooting small pumpkins from a cannon (just the older ones) and picking out pumpkins. This time, Kelton wasn't a fun shaped one so the hunt was intense for one that he wanted. Kaylen stuck to her "as long as I can lift it life is good" motto.

After the pumpkin patch we headed back to my sisters and we all had lunch and the kids had a wild afternoon of playing. It was a jam-packed weekend with long drives on both ends but it was a lot of fun!



But wait! The pumpkin patch fun doesn't end here. Next weekend we will take our annual pumpkin patch trip here, too. After all, Dakota missed all the fun this weekend. I'm just wondering though - how many pumpkins does a family need anyway? :)

10 comments:

Froggymama said...

Oh fun. Great pics. Kaylen looks so proud!

Sheri said...

How many pumpkins is enough??? I asked Nick how many pumpkins should we find? (it's good to get the 2yr old perspective now and then) He said "8". I asked him "Why 8?", but he couldn't answer that question. Later, John was recounting a "seek & find" book that he & Nick had read. John asked me if Nick had any trouble finding the number "8" before because he kept jumping from 7 to 9. I laughed and told him ... nope, I think he's going to find it tomorrow in the pumpkin patch. Poor John is still confused :-)

p.s. I loved the boot photo!

Stacey said...

great photos!!! looks like it was a blast!

Anonymous said...

Casey- I LOVE your blog. It is so fun to read!

Kids are so much fun and things like pumpkin patches just makes life amazing!

Heidi

Monogram Queen said...

Hopefully we are going to an Apple Orchard near Charlotte this week-end. We'll take Maddie to the Farmers Market and let her pick out a pumpkin next week.

Laura said...

Looks like a really fun time!!!

Shannon said...

That looks like lots of fun. Great pictures too! We're going to a pumpkin farm this weekend with Stacey and Angele and the babies and we're really looking forward to it.

Brenda said...

Looks like a lot of fun! Great pictures!!!

Lynilu said...

Fun pictures! Punkin patches are the best!! I haven't been to one in many, many years, and those pix bring back memories!

Casey said...

FroggyMama: Isn't she adorable? :)

Sheri: The boot photo is one of my favs too. Cara gets the photo credits for the second patch trip. I love handing off the camera to her - she takes hundreds and even ends up gettinga couple decent ones of me. Gotta love that. :)

Stacey: It was! I bet your trip this weekend will be great as well.

Heidi: Thank you! I love that you love my blog. :)

Patti: I hope you have a great time at the Apple Orchard. Hit apple cider - I can smell it from here. :)

Laura: Thanks, it was. :)

Shannon: I bet you will all have a great time! babies and pumpkins make for great photos. :)

Brenda: Just think - maybe bext year our families can go to the local patch together again just like the old days. WAHOO!

Caroline: We had a blast!

Lynilu: Glad I could help bring forth some sweet memories for you.