Thursday, August 09, 2007

Well now.....

....*that* was different.

I went to the mall this morning to meet that mom from Matching Moms and at first it was ok but as the hour wore on, it was more and more *not* ok. Kelton enjoyed talking with her - which was good.

When she first arrived at the play area, she introduced herself and I did the same. Then we sat and watched the kids run around. We did small chit-chat like are you from this area. what does your partner do, etc (though she had a lot of trouble spitting out the word partner...she said "I don't know what to call your...umm....your..." so I jumped in and said "Dakota is my partner.". Then Kelton started getting bored and wanted to go do something else. Then Kaylen needed to go potty. She said "That's ok - I don't want to stay in this area anyway." So great, we headed up to the library (yes, we have a library in our mall) because the children's area is overflowing with toys, puzzles and books for the kids plus it has a nice restroom. We were there about 15 minutes and the kids were having a great time when she said "Want to go walk around? I do." and I'm thinking "NO! The kids are happy and busy. I want to just let them be until they get restless." The kids had heard her though and they decided it was time to leave. *sigh*

So we walk oh - I don't know - the length of the library and are just about to cross in front of the food court when she said "Don't you get them lunch here when you are at the mall?" I replied "Sometimes - but mostly we go home to eat." and she said "Oh. Well I want to get lunch for E and me." And what choice was I left with? My two started yelling for McDonalds. Fine. Only - "McDonalds? Oh we don't eat *there*." to which I said "Oh - then I guess we'll meet you at a table."

So they went to get pizza and cookies and we met up at a table.

Then the fun began. She gets all jittery and says

"Do you have trouble making friends because you are gay?"
"No. Not at all. I think as a stay at home mom, it's just hard to meet people."
"Oh really? I would think you would."
(excuse the crap out of me????)
*stunned silence for me*

Then she says:
"I figured it would be ok to meet with you once and then I could see about your morals and values. I am monogamous and I think that is very important."

stunned I say "Oh." then a few beats of silence and I say "Well - Dakota and I have been together for 13 plus years." I figured that would answer her WILDLY inappropriate comment/question.

Apparently not.

After lunch the kids wanted to go to the restroom so we went and on the way back she pushes her stroller next mine and does this weird aside whisper:
"You didn't really answer me. ARE you monogamous?"

I was freaking SHOCKED and way over the top offended! Was she seriously asking me this as if it was her business? And was I going to answer her? Would she have asked this question if I were married to a man? I could feel my blood starting to boil and I said "Yes." in a kind of snotty way and she said "Oh good. You just never know." to which I replied "You know, I don't know any gay couples who AREN'T." She said "Really? Well my brother isn't." to which I said "Is he in a long term relationship?" "No - he was married and cheated on his wife with a man and now he is gay and he hasn't had a relationship since then." I said "Well - that's not really NON-monogamous." and then turned my attention to my kids.

On our way out of the mall (wouldn't you just know that we parked outside of the same store) she started asking about "We're you married before?" "No. I said to which she replied "Well - how did you get the kids? They look so much like you."

(can you feel my eyes rolling)

"We did artificial insemination using a donor. And actually, Kelton looks so much like Dakota."

Well that confused her. She mumbled and stumbled and I just let her.

We couldn't reach the parking lot soon enough for me.

Wow. I don't know - color me odd but I think the things she asked, they way she asked and how quickly she asked was completely inappropriate and I have to say, I was/am incredibly offended by the "monogamous" inquiry. Sheesh.

She wanted to exchange phone numbers but I was quick on my feet and said that the phone was really hard for me with the kids and that email was much better.

Oy. Truly this makes me want to remove my listing from Matching Moms. Ugh.

17 comments:

Dakota said...

Ugh, as I said on the phone - sorry, honey! That is outrageous! I don't even ask my good friends if they are monogamous. That is so no one else's business except the people involved in the relationship(s). I'd wonder if she was searching to see if you were open to something, except for the comments about morals and values. EWWWWW...I need a shower just reading about this ickiness.
-Your Monogamous Wife

Jen said...

HOLY CRAP!! sorry...wow some people have nerve...I think you held yourself together fabulously because I would have let her have it...

Excuse me while I pick my jaw up off the floor...

Jen S (from Canada!! :-) )

Shannon said...

Oh no!! That is so inappropriate. Who does that??? So sorry it didn't go well... ick.

Unknown said...

Wow, I'm truly shocked. I was thinking "wow, that sounds like a neat service" but now...I'm not so sure. Inappropriate is at the minimum. JEEZ!

Casey said...

Dakota: Yeah.

Jen: I know, right? Crazy.

Shannon: I'm not sure who does that. In all my life I've never encountered this type of situation before.

Seasonal: You know, it actually *is* a good service and I've heard from friends that they have meet people through Matching Moms who became good friends. I think I just got a dud. A BIG dud. At least for me. There is probably someone out there just waiting to be her friend. :)

Brenda said...

Wow! She was quite the gem, wasn't she?

I don't even know what to say...

Daria Schaffnit said...

Wow, how utterly bizarre! I cannot imagine how she felt it was at all reasonable or appropriate to act like that!

Caroline said...

I am constanly amazed at the questions that hetro's ask in regards to being gay. Why do they feel that because we are gay our lives and business is open to everyone.

Well, I am sorry that it was not what you had hoped for.

Chris said...

Was she 12? Jeez. It sounds like you didn't get much say in hardly anything that happened, then to have her ask such obnoxious questions... wow. I'm sorry it was such a bad experience. Sounds like the kids had a good time though.

Anonymous said...

What is WITH people? I hate to say it, but...fuck her. I'm just so angry right now at straight people who think they have the corner on morality.

ARGH!!!!

Holly said...

OMG!!! What the ?!?!
I have never, ever been asked the monogamous question, no matter how ignorant the questions have been.
Just because you're gay, you must be indifferent to monogamy, commitment and any type of moral behavior?
She's probably still completely thrown about where the kids came from. LOL!!!!!!!!
Did she know you were a lesbian mommy when she agreed to meet up with you and the kids? If she was going to be so weirded out by it, why couldn't she just stay under her rock?

Sheri said...

I give you a standing ovation for sticking out as long as you did ... I probably would have feigned food poisoning or something else, much earlier on. I have to admit I had the same thought as Dakota. Was she seeing if you'd be open to something? But, I think you handled it all with a lot of grace! :-)

Casey said...

Brenda: This is all your fault. Damn you for moving away. (kidding - I'm kidding. Sorta.)

Daria: Nor I.

Caroline: I would definitely say she is an odd duck. I have met lots and lots of straight people who have never asked me those types of things. In fact, most of my friends are straight so I guess that's why this really surprised me. I never saw it coming.

Chris: That totally made me laugh! I think I'm going to steal that "What are you, 12?" :)

Kristen: Yeah - she was/is a piece of work but at least I know she doesn't speak for most straight folks. Thank God!

Holly: You know, I've heard stories about people thinking gay people are all about the sex, I've just never run into it before. And I'll be happy never to do so again. And yes, she knew I am a lesbian before getting together. It's clear from the write up I have listed about me and my family. I don't actually use the word "lesbian" but I do have "partner and she". She knew because she said she didn't know what to call Dakota when we first started talking in the play area.

Sheri: Thanks. Next time though I go in with an escape plan. Brenda did call me early on but I didn't have my phone with me (it was in the stroller - stupid move!) and even so, it was still ok at that point. So lesson learned: escape plan - good. :)

Audra said...

HOLY CRAP. I cannot believe someone would ask that, or even think that. Maybe she was into you or something like that? wow. I seriously can't believe someone would say something like that!

It's crappy that there are such stereotypes put on gay people. I've usually only heard that gay men were not monogamous, but it is still such a stereotype!

Lynilu said...

OH .... MY .... GAWD ........

Why do some people think they can ask things such as that?????? Or say things such as that???? And it's OK.

I'm sorry there are gross boobs in the world and you had to spend time with one of them. It makes me embarrassed as a straight. And a woman. And a human.

sighhh.

Monogram Queen said...

Oh.My.God. That woman is a NUT. Run - don't walk away from her Casey. I think Dakota pretty much summed it up with the shower comment. Ewww..... You handled it REALLY well though. I'm afraid I would have went off on homegirl.

Oh and I watched VH1 last night. I am holding you & Dakota responsible *wink*

Kerry said...

I just read this this morning and even my kids are freaking out over this woman.My 16 year old thinks she needs to be debriefed on etiquette and manners.Holy crap indeed.