Friday, August 24, 2007

Growing Pains

Mine. Not his.

This afternoon we were in the yard playing and the phone rang. It was the mom of Kelton's "best friend" from day camp calling to ask if Kelton was available to come over for a play date. Apparently her son (C) had been bugging her all afternoon about wanting Kelton to come play. When I agreed you could hear ear splitting screams of delight from both boys.

They don't live very far from us (but sadly the boys won't be in the same school) so Dakota stayed to play with Kaylen and I drove Kelton over to C's house.

Now is the time to be proud of me: I swallowed all my anxiety and said "I've never before left Kelton with someone for a play date so I'm going to play the paranoid mom for a second. If you have guns in the house I assume they are locked up?" To my GREAT relief she looked at me and said "We don't have guns. We don't even believe in having guns in our house." I'm not sure if she thought I would a loony toon or what but at least I asked and I feel good about that. And now I never have to worry about Kelton being over there. It feels so weird to have just left him there. He's only been on mommy-free play dates with a friend of mine and I've known her since we were both pregnant with our sons. This is a BIG step for me.....and for him but he seems to not notice. :)

When I arrived home I stopped to pick up the mail. In it was Kelton's kindergarten information. The fact that my baby is growing into his own hit me full-force today. Mommy-free play date AND a packet full of information for his first day of school.

*sigh*

4 comments:

Mieke said...

I just did the official sign up for Pony today. He starts on the 5th. Crazy! I hope he's not totally freaked out the first week to be in a new school with new teachers and no children that he knows.

Anonymous said...

Great Job asking the hard questions. I am proud of you!

Lukas starts KG on Monday and I think I am gonna cry!

Heidi

Brenda said...

Good for you for asking. Who cares what she thought, your peace of mind and the safety of your child is worth it. :o)

Sheri said...

Wahoo! Great job for asking that tough question.
** Mommy Gold Star**

:-)