Thursday, August 23, 2007

Day Camp

I think Kelton is going to have trouble with the end of day camp tomorrow. This week I have noticed that pick up time is getting more and more complicated. In days gone by, he would run right over to me when it was over but today it took us 40 minutes to leave. The counselors keep the kids busy singing songs until their parents arrive and even though I was standing right there in plain sight, Kelton ran back over to the singing group to sing songs. I didn't mind - I enjoy watching him having fun and singing silly songs. But then, the kids thinned out and my son was still chatting up the staff and making himself at home.

"It's time to go, hon. Grab your stuff and let's go!"
"In a minute, mom."

I finally get him out the door only to have him turn around and run back to hug one of the teachers.

I'm so happy that he has had a great experience with day camp (especially considering how his stint in preschool went. So not good.). I'm so proud of him and how he has handled it and I know this child of mine is going to excel when he starts school in 11 days. The teachers/counselors all rave about him and what a terrific camper/student he is and how much fun he is to be around. I will never, ever tire of hearing that.

I have an amazing kid!!

That said though - I think tomorrow is going to be difficult for him. He is going to miss his friends and teachers (though one of his friends mom already has asked for our address/phone number because her son wants Kelton to come to his birthday party so at least Kelton knows he will see his "best friend" again soon). I wish there was some way I could let his teachers know how much they have enhanced my child's life. For the first time ever, I get the whole "I want to get the teacher something special" thing. When you have someone touch your child's life in such a positive and lasting way, makes you so very grateful.

5 comments:

Stacey said...

Glad the camp went so well!

Brenda said...

Yeah Kelton! He'll love Kindergarten!

Sheri said...

Hmm, looks like an opportunity for a "graduation" celebration lunch ... graduating day camp before entering Kindergarten ... and Kelton picks the place.

Great job Mom! He wouldn't be the boy he is without you there guiding him, nurturing him, and loving him :-)

Holly said...

It's so great that he really is having a good time. Leaving is always rough, but he should have a blast with kindergarten.

Unknown Me said...

I think a small gift with a card stating those sentiments would be VERY appreciated by his teachers. I know it always meant a lot to me to HEAR how much the parents appreciated me.