Wednesday, August 22, 2007

Kindergarten

I called Kelton's school today to see if I could find out into which kindergarten class he was placed. When I registered him for school this spring I petitioned to have him placed in the morning class instead of the afternoon (our neighborhood is afternoon kindergarten because of the bus schedules) since Kelton is awake before the birds every. single. day. I just had this sinking feeling that to send him off to afternoon class at 1pm after he had already been awake eight hours would be pretty much setting him up to fail. Not the feeling a mom wants to have for her child.

Afternoon hours around here are not a pretty sight because he is so tired and seems to loose his ability to listen, comprehend and not melt down. Bedtime comes early too in order to offset the early start to the day (and yes, we've tried keeping him up later in the hopes he would sleep later but it has never, ever worked. Even going to be at 10pm does nothing to stop the 5AM wake up. He has been an early riser since the day he was born. It's just who he is.)

Anyway, I have been anxiously awaiting news of what class he would be in and I prepared to go in and plead my case in person if I had to...and go beyond the principal if necessary. After all, I'm his mom and that's my job. I just can't see setting him up to fail his first year out in the world. I know how great he is doing at day camp in the mornings and I know that will transfer easily to school. So I nervously called the school this morning and, good news of good news, he has been placed in the AM class!!! YES YES YES!!! I am so happy!

There is not much doubt that afternoon would be a much easier transition for me since I wouldn't have to worry about the morning chaos of getting ready but this isn't about me and what is easiest for *me*. This is about a successful start to school for Kelton. So, morning is it! The school bus will pick him up in the morning but because the neighborhood is PM kindergarten, there will be no bus ride home. I'll need to pick him up at the school. I have zero problem with that and I'm actually looking forward to it.

We are at the end of the bus route both directions (which makes no sense to me as I would think they would reverse the route in the afternoon) so when he is picked up in the morning, it's about 4 minutes to school. In the afternoon, it would take 40 minutes from the time the bus leaves the school until he is dropped off here. Personally, I think that is crazy and I am all too happy to drive the 4 minutes to the school to get him. It's something I can see myself doing next year as well since I just think 40 minutes on a bus in the afternoon with kindergarten - fifth grade is asking for trouble. That's just me. I'm not a fan of school buses anyway so picking him up is perfect!

I'm just so relieved that he will be in the morning class and since we've been doing the day camp thing for three weeks now, I feel like we have the whole "getting ready and out the door" routine down well. Which is good - since school starts in 12 days! Eeeeeeeek!

8 comments:

Unknown Me said...

School buses can be a hot bed for horrible elementary school memories! I'm with you on the driving thing...better safe than sorry!

Brenda said...

Yeah! I'm glad to hear Kelton got into morning Kindergarten. :o)

Perrin said...

That's great Casey! As you know, I also switched Corinne to mornings. Same situation..she rode the bus in the morning and I picked her up at the end. I also enjoyed it and I got to meet a mom or two. MOst kids did ride the bus though. I might do it this year as school gets out at 3:25 but the bus reaches our neighborhood at 4. That is too long of a day. She was mad the first couple of days that she didn't get to ride home but then got over it.

Sheri said...

I'm so happy all is working out the way you hoped! And I think the bus should work out great. It will help teach Kelton to be independent (but gradually--only one way), and it gives you a little extra one-on-one time with Kaylen in the mornings.

Shannon said...

That's great that he got placed in the morning class. Definitely sounds like that's the better option for him. Wow, 12 days!

Anonymous said...

Have I mentioned before that we have the SAME life!?!?

I too am waiting to hear which class Lukas got into. I also asked for the AM class. My daughter got afternoon pre-school which I am happy about since it will give me more alone time with the third kid.

But I will freak if Lukas gets the afternoon KG class as he needs to be up and out of the house early not at 12:30.

Wow- Kindergarden already has more worries and woes then I thought it would!

Good luck to Kelton on his first day!

Heidi

Lynilu said...

OH, how exciting! I'm remembering my kids first days of KG, and getting misty!

My kids had good experiences with their bus drivers, but I have to say that the reason for the schedules to be like that is (at least IMHO) that some of the drivers just can't learn TWO routes, one for morning and the reversal in the PM. Yeah, I'm catty.

I enjoyed the time right after school as we walked or drove home. Such special times, hearing the verbal onslaught of "Guess what?" I missed that with my baby because I was working and she rode the bus all the time. :(

Yeah, you have the best of both ... you don't have to be dressed and have Kaylen out in the morning, but you get the good stuff at the end of the school day.

Rainbow Momma said...

Yay! Isn't it funny how the little things make life easier. Glad Kelton got the morning class. Sydney started Kindergarten yesterday. Sob!