Wednesday, August 01, 2007

Blah

Grief is a weird thing. It washes over me in the most unlikely times.

This afternoon I went to the mailbox to collect the mail and in among all the junk and a power bill was Kelton's Highlight magazine. It has been a yearly gift from my mom for three years (which is about 2 years before he was ready for it but my mom wanted him to have it). It expires in December.

As I handed it to Kelton I mentioned that he will only be getting 4 more issues of it because it was a gift from Grandma and now that Grandma is in heaven she won't be able to have it sent to him anymore. He looked at me sadly and said "Oh. Ok." and then hugged it to his chest.

I left the living room, rounded the hall corner and burst into tears.

All because the Highlights magazine arrived.

*sigh*

10 comments:

Kristen said...

(((hugs)))

Froggymama said...

Big hugs from us too.

Perrin said...

I'm sorry Casey. I can see how that would have hit you hard. Don't know what to say except sorry.

Stacey said...

{{{HUGS}}}

That is sad and I think I would bawl too.

SassyFemme said...

I understand. The triggers lessen with time. {{{ }}}

SJayneI said...

I can totally relate to how that feels; not a day goes by that something doesn't make me think of my Mother, especially pregnancy related stuff. It's a hard load to carry.

Unknown said...

(((HUGS)))

Lynilu said...

Oh, please renew it for him!

You are so right about the odd things that turn on the grief. Always the unexpected. Always when we are off guard. Always it hurts.

Hugs, dear.

Patti_Cake said...

Awww you are making me tear up Casey. That is so poignant. He'll always associate Highlights with his dear Grandma

Holly said...

Sending big hugs too!