Monday, June 18, 2007

The Treadmill

Wow. Three posts so far today. I'm on a roll. :) Kaylen is taking a nap today which is completely out of the norm but she is so wiped out from being sick that the poor thing just couldn't stay awake. It's after 3pm already and she's been out since 1:30. This isn't going to bode well for bedtime but what's a mom to do? I can't *not* let her nap if she needs one, right?

Ok - so the treadmill. I've been wanting a treadmill of my own for awhile. January of 2006 Dakota and I even went looking for a new one but what we could afford didn't have the things we wanted. For instance, our comfortable price range meant a manual treadmill, not a motorized one. I know one could burn more calories that way but whoa! No thanks. I had a vision of a nicer one than that.

Yesterday I was casually searching Craigs List, as I do periodically for things on my "wish list", when I came across a ProForm 730 for, get this, $65.00. It was in good working condition with minor cosmetic damage. I've never seen such a nice treadmill listed for so little money so of course I contacted them right away. They sent pictures and within five minutes I was lining up a time to go see it.

It was perfect! Works great and the minor cosmetic damage is on the adhesive backed strip at the very top of the belt. What is the damage from? The guys foot as he ran on it. Ummmm yeah, I think I can deal with that. I'm not sure if he thought I looked like someone who *really* needs to exercise, just liked us or was being overly generous but he knocked $15 off his asking price so we picked up an amazing piece of machinery for $50.00!! I know! Crazy, right?

Since I'm selling one of Kelton's small bikes (yes, we had two. A neighbor had given us their sons bike when he outgrew it so we had an extra once for when friends came to play.) for $20 that means, as far as the financial loss/gain goes; we're only out $30 for the treadmill. You just have to like how life works out sometimes, don't ya? :)

This morning I worked out for 30 minutes and I am so dang proud of myself. I have been wanting to do this for a long while but joining a gym and dealing with childcare seems impossible for me (no way we could afford that extra cost at this point in our lives) so this is a perfect workable solution. I am so excited!!! My goal isn't lofty by any means. I just want to get back to my original weight before I got pregnant with Kelton. And hey - anything beyond that is pure bonus! :)

Here are a couple of pictures of the kids testing it out yesterday.

10 comments:

Caroline said...

You amaze me Casey. Maybe you should start a business where people email you and tell you what they are looking for and you look on their cities Craigslist for what they are looking for. You seem to have a magic touch to finding great deals.

Jojo said...

I'm proud of you! I'm also happy you found a deal. I too had been shopping for one but could not afford anything nice. Then one day a neighbor was moving,and I asked if I could help."Yeah, you wanna take this treadmill"? He did not "feel like putting it on the truck". That was 4-5 years ago. It's an awesome machine, with program routes and everything. P's dad has it right now though...heart condition and can't walk in the heat.

Casey said...

Caroline: That might be a fun business venture but honestly, anyone can do it. YOu hae to know what you are looking for and a randge of how much you are willing to spend. Then you just have to be patient. The trash compactor took my almost 8 months to find given the parameter I had established. But if there is anything you are looking for I'd be happy to help. *grin*

JoJo: Thanks! You got a pretty sweet deal yourself. Free is ALWAYS good! :)

Holly said...

Damn. I am so jealous of your treadmill find.
Lois' parents are supposed to hook me up with a treadmill if I clean the basement out. You are motivating me to do something ASAP.
Jojo is my WW buddy, maybe we can motivate each other to get our butts on the treadmill?
I downloaded a podcast from iTunes called Couch to 5k. It's a 9 week program for complete out-of-shapers to be running a 5k by the end.
Needless to say, I haven't started yet. LOL.

Unknown said...

AWESOME! Your craigslist finds are amazing. I hope this treadmill is just what you had in mind and that it holds up great! :)

Lynilu said...

The girl and the nap ... her little body needs the rest to heal. I hope bedtime wasn't awful, but you did the right thing. Of course!

Yeah, I'm with Caroline ... can I send you MY wish list?? ;-)

Kristen said...

what a great deal! As long as you sell something everytime you buy something, you'll be set! Keeps the clutter down and the money good!

Monogram Queen said...

Girl you have all the luck lately (but you deserve it after the rotten timing of losing your Mom and Dakota's dad getting sick). I am so happy for you!

Anonymous said...

That is the exact treadmill I have. I bought it after my son was born. I paid over a thousand dollars for it at Sears. That was 5 years ago but hey I still use it and it has never given me problems. You got a great deal.

Heidi

Casey said...

Holly: That program sounds great. Now if only I could be motivated for that... :) Get yourself a treadmill and you can add me to your workout buddy list. :)

Seasonal: So far it's perfect and for $50, even if it holds up for only a year or two, I'm money ahead. Though honestly, it seems like it's in great condition.

Lynilu: Bedtime was pushed back until 9:00 but we all survived. She napped again today so here we go again. And sure, send me your wish list and the towns in your area and I'm happy to do some searching for you. :)

Kristen: Indeed!

Patti_Cake: Thanks! Believe me, I'll take all the luck I can get.

Heidi: Are you sure you aren't me living in another dimension? Wow. Our lives as almost one. Kinda freaky but really cool, too. :)