Monday, June 18, 2007

Knock on Wood

The girl is better. I think. I hope. I pray. It appears to be a 36 hour bug or something like that. She only threw up the one time (which was plenty, thanks. Nasty!) but her fever raged until yesterday afternoon and then finally - sweet relief, it broke. She is still tired, senitive, crabby and out of sorts but so much better!!

Thank you all for your kind thoughts. Kelton has been sick only a very few times in his five years but it feels like Kaylen picks up anything that walks by and waves at her. Each and every time it strikes fear in my heart and I struggle to figure out how best to help. It's moments like those that I can't help but think I have no clue about being a mother, being responsible for another persons health and well-being. I can deal with tantrums. I can deal with mess. I can deal with runny noses and congestion. I just can't seem to deal very well when one of my babies is "sick" sick.

I have no idea how parents of chronically ill children do it. They are heroes to be sure.

I have more to update about but it requires photos that I have yet to upload to my computer and I just haven't gotten that far today. Hopefully soon.

6 comments:

Froggymama said...

Yay, you did great. There's just nothing worse than having a sick babe. It is the most helpless feeling and makes you question your parenting skills for sure. I feel the same way when Froggy is sick, "should we rush her to the e.r., or would she catch something worse there!?" It's so tough. Our pediatrician is so great about calming me down and talking me through everything. Do you have someone you can call day or night, to help ease your mind?

Unknown said...

I am so glad she's feeling better! Throw up sick is the worst, knock wood that it's past and no one else gets it!

Dee said...

Thank goodness. Sit back and have a coffee break!

Casey said...

FroggyMama: Thank you. You know, I actually don't have anyone I can call on to ease my fears. I love that you have your ped - that's so great!

Seasonal: Thank you! I hope no one else gets it too. Yuck!

Dee: Coffee! You nailed that one right. Phew - I made it through yet again. :)

Monogram Queen said...

Glad she is feeling better. I'm like you, I don't know how parents of chronically ill children do it. I guess they just "do it". They have no other choice.

Gandksmom said...

Casey - I am the same exact way. Gillian had strep throat last week and I thought that Katie was getting it last night. She is fine today, but I was worried all night. She has her ballet recital Thursday and can't be sick. I actually just cancelled an MD appt for her at 3:15 because she looks so good. I hope it doesn't come back to bite me! And I hope Kaylen is feeling better soon!