Saturday, June 16, 2007

Not Again!

Kaylen spiked a fever around 10pm last night and it's been raging every since. It was 103 earlier this afternoon though I'm sure it's not as hot as she has been. I've been doing my best to keep fever reducing meds on board all day. Then tonight at the dinner table she was clearly not feeling well. She refused any and all bites which I knew in my gut could only mean one thing and before we were done with our meals, it was confirmed.

The poor girl threw up everywhere.

I'm in vomit hell once again.

I forgot what this felt like - it's been four whole months (quite a record for this past autumn and winter) since she has been sick like this. It's awful and scary and yucky. I'm a worse-case scenerio girl, too, so on top of worry about everythign in the moment I am also trying to keep those fears at bay that creep in; "Maybe she has something seriously wrong with her. What if it's life threatening? Am I doing all I can do to make her better faster? There isn't much point in taking her to the clinic because on top of waiting for hours all they will (probably) say is "It's a virus. Give it 72 hours." I hate running to the doctor for every sniffle and I've made a point to not do that so I won't take her in unless she get's significantly sicker and yet that voice in my head keeps on with the "Are you sure? Are you sure she shouldn't be seen? What if.....?"

I really hate this parent of motherhood. My baby is sick and I can't can't make her better. I'm already exhausted and I know tonight will hold precious little sleep for me. I hate dealing with throw up. What if we all end up getting it? I've been feeling feverish most of today already. But mostly: My baby is sick and I can't make her better.

Feeling helpless sucks.


PS...Shawna; I am so, so sorry that we unknowingly exposed you and the boys to this at our playdate yesterday. She sure didn't give any indication that she wasn't feeling well, did she? Who would have guessed that in 12 hours she would go from a happy girl running around with the boys and acting all silly to a fevered sick little girl? I hope like crazy everyone in your family stays healthy. I'm really, really sorry. :(

11 comments:

Anonymous said...

awww casey! I'm so sorry she's sick!!!

so far so good health wise for us - I'll keep my fingers crossed!

Here's hoping it passes soon for her, and for YOU!

Brenda said...

I hope you both got some sleep last night and thst Kaylen is on the mend.

yankeegirl said...

Casey
(hugs), I HATE when the kids throw up. I would rather take a beating than throw up myself, so when forced to deal with it for the kids, ugh, its the worst!
I hope it's a very short sickness and no one else gets it!

Perrin said...

What a drag! Hope it has passed. Vomit sucks.

Holly said...

ugh. poor kid. I hope she feels better soon!

Lynilu said...

It is a very helpless state for mommies when our babies are sick. I'm sending my best karma to wrap around you both until this ugly-bug fades away. :)

Monogram Queen said...

Awww i'm sorry she is sick also. It is amazing sometimes how fast it comes on but hopefully it is just a 24 hr bug and no one else will catch it!

P.S. It is horrible when your child is sick or hurting and you really can't do much.

Jojo said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Jojo said...

The last time J did this, it scared him to death. There we both were, covered in yuck and me trying to calm him down. His other mom gags if she reads the word 'vomit', and was no help at all. I hope she is feeling better soon. jojo

Dee said...

I'm so sorry you've got a sick little one on your hands!!! Rest when you can!

Sonya said...

Oh no! Poor Kaylen - I hope she's feeling better. Though I should scroll up and read before commenting. Oh well.

I clearly remember those days of sickness & puke. I wouldn't worry - though I know it is only natural. My guess is that it is just how she manages her sickness, unfortunately - for all of you.

But... I've also got 2 girls (& a Mommy) who will puke if you look at them wrong! Thank goodness Spencer is not into puking!