Sunday, June 10, 2007

Another Weekend Fades into the Sunset

Wow. Weekends are busy around here. Dakota is still enjoying a shortened work week because of the chaos surrounding her job and her FTE remaining the same as during the school year instead of jumping back to a 1.0. This means that we have three family days in a row - and the kids and I are loving them!!

Friday morning we decided to go to the Children's Museum and had a great time playing and exploring. It's been about a year since our last visit to this particular museum so Kaylen had no memory of it. It was so funny to watch her running around excitedly.


We stayed and played for most of the day though I have to say that around the nap time hour was my favorite time to be there - the crowds really thinned out and we were the only ones for nice chunks of time in several of the areas we visited.

Saturday we didn't do all that much. Dakota headed over to her sister's house to visit with her dad while the kids and I stayed home. After Dakota returned we had lunch and then ran over to Fred Meyer to pick up a few groceries (see post below for details) and then it was home again. The kids and Dakota made chocolate chip cookies and then we all settled in to watch Monsters, Inc. After the kids were sleeping, Dakota and I heated up some food (we fed the kids during their movie) and settled in to watch Music and Lyrics which I thought was pretty fun. Predictable, as romantic comedies are, but fun. By the time the movie was over it was well past 11:00 which is pretty darn late around these parts, so we headed to bed.

Today we hung around the house this morning and then headed out to find a new park to visit. We looked up local parks on the computer and settled on one that had a lot of trails to explore but after driving around and around and around trying to find our way in (which we found eventually but couldn't find a nearby place to park the car) we gave up and headed over to the lake near town. We hadn't been there since Kelton was about 15 months old and since then they have gone to a pay park. Ick. They took cash only and of course I had none with me. The booth guy (kid, really) told us about another place nearby that was free so we headed over there. It was perfect!! No one around, a great play area and right on the river! We were all in heaven. I love, love, love being near the water. There is just something so peaceful about water....even the ocean as it crashes violently. Yeah - I know that sounds weird but I even find peace in the violence of the waves at the ocean. Go figure.


We played at our new found park for a good long time before heading home. After picking up a quick dinner at McDonald's (we were all tired and hungry and the rain was starting to fall which meant out bbq plans were iffy at best) we took care of the regular Sunday night chores (trash out (and I am loving the compactor!!), etc.) the kids found the Halloween costume box and had a great time dressing up in each and every one of them. We all had a blast - and marveled at how a tiger costume that one of Dakota's work friends gave us when Kelton was 18 months old is now practically fitting. How could it be that our baby is that big already? I remember when Dakota brought it home way back when - it felt like Kelton would never be *that* big. Surprise! He is getting darn close. Amazing.



So now the kids are in the tub and soon it will be stories and bedtime. It's been a crazy weekend and I think we are all looking forward to Monday so we can rest. :)

6 comments:

Jojo said...

It's great to hear you heal. Your sounding so much better. I'm glad your getting lots of family time, I don't know how you do it whe she is gone. Supermom? ;-)
jojo

Sonya said...

Sounds like an excellent - if not exhausting - weekend. How cool that you get 3 full family days. Heaven!

Monogram Queen said...

So cute! I love the costumes and I find comfort in the violence of ocean waves too.

Chris said...

How cute is it that his backpack is almost as big as he is? :o)

Our middle child got a lion costume like the giraffe one when she was two. She wore it for 3 Halloweens in a row until we finally made her retire it when the poor lion's legs only went down to her knees. She decided to let her little brother wear it from now on.

Casey said...

JoJo: Thanks. And I have no idea how I get it done. Somedays I sure don't think I do.

Sonya: Indeed!

Patti_Cake: Somehow I just knew you would understand the ocean part. I know how much you love ocean time, too. :)

Chris: When I looked at the photos I was really struck with the size of the backpack against his body. Sometimes it's so easy to forget how truly little he still is.

Stacey said...

wow you've been busy. looks like you are all having so much fun. what a beautiful family you have. :)