Monday, June 25, 2007

Mellow to Crazy in the Blink of an Eye


The kids and I were having a pretty mellow day. Everything was clicking right along without a hiccup which is a rarity to be sure. The laundry was going, the house was straightened up (and mostly staying that way), kitchen cleaned, email checked, kids happily playing with each other (and yes, the workout had been completed hours before this. Go me!). Then there, on my computer screen, was a message from my friend, Shawna. I answered and asked how how she was. Not good, was the reply. She was having pain and her doctor recommended she go to the ER. She asked if I might be willing to watch her three boys for a bit. Let's see...pain, ER...kind of a no brainer; of course I would be. Within the hour her husband was with her and the kids were with me.

WOW. Five kids equals a whole lot of energy! As I watched them swarming all over the play equipment in the yard I couldn't help but laugh - they looked like an ant colony...busy busy busy. Every where I looked there was movement. Again, let me say: WOW!

They played outside for a bit and then wanted to do art. After that it was playing with the inside toys for a bit and then back outside for more playing. I broke out the Otter Pops and everyone took a popsicle break. Then it was back inside to play. Sure, they all had their moments but mostly it went well. Two and a half hours in, Dakota arrived home. I met her in the driveway and said "Thank you for not wanting a lot of kids." She laughed.

There was more playing and then George arrived to pick the kids up and take them back to the hospital with him. Shawna was still waiting for some tests before they would know anything. The word "appendicitis" was bandied about. Time will tell.

I'm exhausted. I have no idea how people with more than two kids do this. Heck - some days I don't know how people with any kids do this. Five little bodies running around here with only one adult. It was an insane three hours but I am so glad I could help.

Here are some pictures:

11 comments:

Perrin said...

I hope Shawna is ok. That was so nice of you to help out. It's great to have friends one can call on like that.

Brenda said...

You are a great friend to help out in short notice. I hope Shawna is doing okay.

Sonya said...

I'm sorry Shawna isn't feeling well. I hope it isn't anything major and she's back on her feet in no time.

As far as navigating a day with that many kids... you'd get used to it. ;)

Laura said...

I hope that Shawna will be okay. And you're a brave woman taking on all those kids at once.

Daria Schaffnit said...

At least you're well-equipped for keeping a passel of kids entertained! Otter Pops & fun play equipment...yeehaw! I will be keeping Shawna in my prayers.

Lynilu said...

Under normal circumstances, we get additional children one at a time, so we can adjust as we go. When it happens that way, it is not so much of a problem. However, jumping from 2 to 5 ... yeah, that's stressful!! I did that, long term, when I married my late husband. I had 2 small kids, he had 3 teens and pre-teens. OMG!!! I wanted 5 kids, but that was definitely a "learning experience"!!

I hope Shawna is well soon and without any serious medical "fixes." Good thoughts for her recovery.

Dee said...

I would so need a giant glass of wine! 5 kids! Holy cow! You're amazing for getting it done.

Unknown said...

All I can say Casey, is 1. You are a saint for being there for a friend in a pinch (and I hope Shawna's OK!), but 2. If you have time to snap that many pictures instead of sticking your head in the toilet, you are more than capable of having 5 kids. Better get started... :)

Monogram Queen said...

I hope your friend is okay.

I hear ya, I don't know sometimes what i'd do with more than one!

Casey said...

Perrin: You have friends like that, too. I know I'd do the same for you any time you needed. :)

Brenda: Thanks.

Sonya: I'm sure I could get used to it. I just know I don't *want* to get used to it. :)

Laura: Thanks!

Daria: Thank you!

Lynilu: Wow. That was a might big jump in full-time kids you took on. I admire you.

Dee: Wine! Now why didn't *I* think of that? That would have helped. :)

Nikki: No way. No how. :)

Patti-Cake: Amen! :)

Anonymous said...

Casey! thank you so so much you are a life saver! and everyone thank you for the well wishes!!

I love the pictures :)