Saturday, November 17, 2007

The Queen of Tantrums

My daughter. Not me. Though honestly I probably could have taken her crown today - or at least shared it because I was not all that far from having a huge major meltdown myself (believe me, I had a few minor ones along the way). I swear to you - a person can only take so much and that little girl was like the darn energizer bunny today. She kept going and going and going.

She literally threw herself on the ground over and over during one display of two-ness. Even Kelton said "Why does she keep doing that over and over?" She was pissed off and out of control and it went on for TWENTY minutes. I briefly thought about videotaping her but just didn't have the energy to go get the camera. And I really didn't want to have to listen to it all again anyway.

Everything set her off. That particular time I had told her that it was time to either go in and go potty or put on a diaper (she had been running around without clothes which seems to be her thing this week) because..well, it was time. I'm cool with not wanting to go in and go potty but I'm not cool with peeing on the couch because she didn't *want* to go in go potty. I'm mean that way.

Well - she DID NOT want a diaper and she DID NOT want to go potty. I stood firm and so did she. Eventually, 20 minutes and hysterical sobbing later, she whimpered "Carry me to potty and me go." And she did. She had been crying and yelling so hard at me that she had those crying hiccup things going on. It was sad - and yet, I wasn't feeling the love at that moment.

It just went on and on today. All her clothes were "too tight". All her tags bugged her. Life bugged her. And she bugged me. :)

I was beyond exhausted and frustrated.

When Dakota's car hit the driveway at 3:30 this afternoon, Kaylen was once again having a screaming fit. I could not grab my keys and jacket fast enough. She walked in and I said "They are all yours. I'm done for now. Be back later." She looked bewildered (though she did know what was taking place because we had talked an hour before and then again 10 minutes before when I called and asked "When will you be here?") I headed to Target to pick up a new garland because the lights on our old one was no longer working (yes indeed, I decorated the house for Christmas today.). I walked around the store for 20 minutes before my head no longer felt like it would explode. I took my time and picked up things we needed and then I headed home. I was gone not quite an hour though honestly, I could have used much, much longer.

When I was driving home I saw the three of them out on a walk. I pulled up near them to say hello and it was great! Happy little kids greeted me and I was relieved that a break did us all some good. At least everyone was happy and calm for a moment in time.

I drove home, parked the car and then walked back to catch up with them. It was a nice walk and Kaylen was actually happy. The first time I think I'd seen her happy for more than 5 minutes.

Never fear though - we hadn't even walked into the house before it all started again. OY! We managed to make it through the next little while and then she and I curled up on the couch to watch Dora while Dakota and Kelton went to Subway to grab some dinner. Just a couple minutes later I looked down at her and she was sound asleep. I picked her up, took her to her room, changed her clothes and tucked her in. She never stirred.

I'm not sure who is more exhausted, her or me. It's been a long hard day.

9 comments:

Mimi said...

Oh my god I HATE those kind of days.....been there done that...thats whats nice about being a grandparent....we just call the parents and say she's all yours....lol

Anonymous said...

Ugh. I thought my little Pumpkinhead had cornered the market on this, but apparently not. Dakota had a good plan trying to get the tantrums out with a walk. Hope tomorrow isn't more of the same!

Audra said...

Lol- even I have those days. As much as I am looking forward to having kids, I'm not looking forward to those kinds of days!

Sheri said...

I don't even know how to reply to this ... except to say ... darn! I missed you at Target by about 90 minutes :-)

I hope Sunday (the day of rest, so I'm told) is a quiet one for all of you.

Perrin said...

Ugh!! I know how it is. We are one with 2 year old tantrums but we have enough sibling fighting going on to last a life time. Getting away from it is thebest thing...good for you.

Unbalanced Libra said...

I understand, I have a 2 year old little boy that is certainly the king of tantrums!
(((HUGS)))

Anonymous said...

Glad you got your break. I think that's the best thing we can do is pass them off and go out for a break. It helps everyone to calm down.

Heidi

Froggymama said...

Oh I hear ya. We are definitely approaching this age. Leaving the house is always the key for us. The change of scenery, fresh air, it seems to work. Sadly, the return usually brings back the grumpy mood. It is soooooo nice when they go to sleep after one of those days. Sometimes I run into the hallway and silently scream YESSSS!

Monogram Queen said...

Girl I feel for you and they are just so... unreasonable. You want to pull your hair out and then you feel guilty if you a) yell at them or b) are thinking evil thoughts. It's tough. You did just the right thing by taking some "time out" for yourself.

I think I hate mimi LOL (j/k)