Tuesday, November 27, 2007

The Mall Experience

I met my friend Brenda out at the mall this afternoon. She was wanting to get Santa photos with her two little ones and we thought it would be fun just to meet up and hang out for a bit and fun it was! I love going to the mall mid-week because it is so much quieter and way less hectic than the weekends and with Christmas fast approaching (eeeeeek! I am soooo not ready!) the weekends are becoming extremely nutty. So many people coming and going and racing about that at times I wonder if it wouldn't be a smart idea to purchase travel insurance for mall trips. I don't know about you but I can't count the number of times I've been run into either by bodies, bags, umbrellas, and purses not to mention practically run over by a stroller or two. I know you know what I'm talking about. :)

I usually will try to be at a mall on a Saturday in December just to watch all the frenzy of activities but that's usually *after* I'm done with all my shopping. Having to be at the mall is so much different than *wanting* to be there. :) I'm not sure I'm going to have that time to spend watching people this year because well....let's just say I have barely started shopping. I have a sinking feeling that I am going to be one of those frenzied people you see running around (though not at the mall - I'm not crazy enough to be in that nuthouse when I *have* to shop.

I've considered just shopping from the comfort of my computer chair this year and for some things I have done just that but I guess you can't get it all that way....well you *can* of course, I just hate paying shipping. :)

Oh - and before I forget...my little girl made great strides in her Santa phobia today. She really, really wanted the candy cane he was offering but to get it, she had to go up and talk with him. She bravely held the hands of her brother and me and walked nervously towards him. Kelton whispered in her ear "Just grab it and run. It'll be ok." which just cracked me up! She didn't run though. She took the candy cane and when he asked her she told him her name and age and what she wanted for Christmas (this time it was a fake Christmas tree. I don't know...she seems to scan the room and just pick an random thing when you ask her what she would like.). She thanked him for the candy cane and, when he asked, she even gave him a hug! She was so proud of herself!

As she walked away she said "I hugged Santa and him really nice but I don't want my picture with him." :) Small steps, baby girl. Small steps. :)

4 comments:

Lynilu said...

I'm with you, Casey. I only like the holiday crunch at the mall if I'm able to just watch and giggle. Otherwise, I avoid it like the plague!!

I love the story about Kaylen and Santa! How very sweet and brave! And I love Kelton's "advice" to her!! Isn't that just a boy for you?? LOL!!

Monogram Queen said...

Small steps indeed and I don't mind the shopping IF I am not stressed out over buying something.

Shannon said...

I usually refuse to set foot in the mall after November 1st. However, this year I will have to because we're going to take Erik to get his picture with Santa.

I love Kaylen's Santa story. She was so brave. I can't wait to see how Erik reacts.

Sheri said...

I hope we have some/any success this Friday with Santa. But, where are the PHOTOS???