Thursday, November 01, 2007

November Already

After Halloween it's just one slippery slope into the Christmas season. Oh who am I kidding? It's already the Christmas season. The kids and I went to Target this afternoon to buy a few 50% off costumes they could use for dress up throughout the next year and I was caught off guard by the Christmas trees and decorations already cramming the aisles. Now I don't mind all that much because I love looking at the Christmas stuff and at least I'll be able to walk into stores with the kids and not have to worry about what freaky thing will set them off. (For instance, Kelton has been really bad about "freaking his head out", as he puts it. He wanted to see all the "spooky" stuff but once we got about 2 rows from the Halloween aisle, the poor boy would flip his top and start crying and begging us to turn around. It got to the point where I would dread having to go anywhere with him for fear of what might trigger him...and you just know that some of the houses last night about did him in. *sigh* Hopefully next year he will be better about it all and he won't feel the need to run as far as Las Vegas whenever he catches sight of something Halloween-ish.) But it was still so odd to see orange and black smashed in right next to red and green. In fact, one aisle was so mixed up that half of it was Halloween clearance and the other half was tree decorations.

Talk about "freaking out your head"! :)

So it's really November 1st, huh? It just seems impossible that the year is coming to a close already. Where did it all go? And why is it I can never find aisle's filled with Thanksgiving stuff? Does anyone else feel like Thanksgiving gets the short end of the deal in this one? Halloween; big deal. Christmas (or whichever winter holiday you celebrate); big deal. Thanksgiving? It's just a long weekend stop over for Christmas shopping.

Yep - it definitely got ripped off. :)

6 comments:

Mimi said...

I agree with you....I love Thanksgiving...but you won't believe this one...I am DONE with my christmas shopping!!!! I know my friends hate me...I have done this ever since I was pregnant with my son (he's 24) that year I was big fat and tired and the people Christmas shopping were crazy...I swore I would never do this again I made a promise that I would be done by Thanksgiving and I have made it.......

Audra said...

When i was looking for a halloween costume, I thought i would have to go as a christmas tree- there was hardly anything there!

Monogram Queen said...

I couldn't find any costumes at our Target. None. Ridiculous. Hmph.

Jen said...

I love "freaking his head out." Good phrase!

Laura said...

What amazes me is how they start moving the xmas stuff in before Halloween is over these days. And as soon as the holiday is over, the stuff is gone like it never happened. I shouldn't talk though as I have a xmas tree up in my house right now. I got rid of our old artificial tree when we moved this year and I saw such a great deal on Ebay for a new one and won it. It came yesterday and I wanted to check it out to make sure it was okay and soon enough Brendan was insisting that I put it up. I'd had no intention of putting up the tree until after Thanksgiving, but it's there. We're not decorating it or putting up anything else christmassy though for another few weeks. It will be kind of funny though when we have Thanksgiving here and everyone comes over and sees the tree already up.

Jo said...

I found a lot of neat Thanksgiving stuff at Hobby Lobby! Thanksgiving is my favorite holiday, you get lots of goods eats and time with the family and you don't have to go into debt :)