Tuesday, November 13, 2007

Keeping Busy

I'm trying to keep myself busy this morning while I wait for another update on Brandon. I started to think about (ok - stress out about) Christmas ideas for the kids. I have to say, all these recalls have me going a bit nutty in the toy department. Kaylen loves Dora. I mean L.O.V.E.S. I would like to get her some Dora stuff but so many Dora things were included in the recalls. So what is safe?

I learned a disturbing fact - did you know that you can still buy recalled products in stores and on-line? How does that happen? Just yesterday I saw a big ad for AuquaDots. Shouldn't those have been pulled? Maybe the ad was created before the recall but still - scary!

And speaking of the recalled AquaDots, we had some. The kids played with them for weeks before the recall. I would say we were VERY lucky. But here is a freaky part. When you buy stuff from ToysRUs or BabiesRUs they ask for your zip code. How then did they know how to contact me via email to alert me about the recall on a product their records show I recently purchased? Talk about big brother....on one hand, it's nice to know they are watching out for their customers on another - how did they track me down via my email address??? Weird.

So not what I was going to talk about. I'm just wondering how I can go about finding safe Dora toys for my Dora-loving girl. Anyone have any ideas?

6 comments:

Audra said...

I too worry about the recalls, how scary! What I think is weird about the aquadots recall- they announced it as changing into the date rape drug. I would think that they would keep that quiet, I can only imagine how the aquadots black market is going now!!!

Stacey said...

Maybe contact the manufacturer that makes the toys you want (i.e. Fisher-Price) and ask them. They should be able to tell you which products are safe and how to know if they are the recalled ones or not.

Sheri said...

Wow, that zip code thing is freaky. My first thought was that they just contacted anyone in their "birthday club" but then realized you said the email referred to a recent purchase. Did you maybe buy them online--that would make sense? Otherwise, that is waaaay too freaky.

Mimi said...

I'm like you, my granddaughter LOVES dora and I have bought a ton (I have been done with my Christmas shopping for awhile) So how do we know which of the stuff I had already bought is safe?

Casey said...

Audra: I hadn't thought of that but I bet you are right!

Stacey: There are tons of websites dedicated to recall lists. It's just so darn overwhelming. I swear I think letting them play with rocks, sticks and dirt is safer.

Sheri: Nope - I didn't buy online. Bought at a store by Washington Square. Somehow they have a record of my purchases tied in with my debit card and maybe it's somehow linked to something I bought online at BabiesRUs? I just don't know. But it really did freak me out to get the email.

Mimi: I created a post just for you. Did you see it? :)

Gandksmom said...

We are moving away from Dora and I may be able to pack some stuff up and send it your way. Let me see what we have and let you know OK?
Wendy