Monday, November 19, 2007

My Daughter

I tell you - this girl is giving me a run for my money these days. She has another cold which sucks because honestly, I thought she was the one that started this last round that we are all fighting but apparently not.....or maybe so but it got her again? All I know is that two days ago she was no longer congested and today she is sick again. Dakota and I are still battling this cold but are finally on the other side of those miserable middle three days. Kelton, of course, had a mildly stuffy nose for about 12 hours and was back to being fine. I tell you - I want the kid's immune system. He never gets all the things the three of us get and if he does, it is short lived.

So yes, Kaylen has a cold which has only succeeded in making her sensory issue (or whatever it is) a million times worse. For the past three days everything is "too tight" and if you try to put a stitch of anything on her body, it's a fight. Dakota got to experience the full-on tantrum last night while I was trying to get her pajamas onto her but I've been enjoying it (she says sarcastically) for the entire three days. This episode has taken her normal complaining of things being too tight (especially her car seat) to a whole new level. Suddenly her usual level feels entirely do-able. This one that started recently is completely draining. For all of us. Even her. Or maybe that should read "especially her". We are all wiped out after.

Dakota half-jokingly said that maybe we need to get her some Valium or other anti-anxiety medication because the poor thing works herself into a frenzy like I've never before witnessed. But then, we'd probably have to find a toddler drug rehabilitation program for her down the road. So - not really an option. Tempting. But not an option.

Maybe she does need some sort of intervention or therapy. I really don't know. I just have no clue what to do for her. Someday I swear I will videotape one of these "too tight" tantrums and share it with you. I mean really - why should I have all the fun? :)

But in all seriousness - I really have no idea what to do to help her through this. Does anyone else have any experience with this?

8 comments:

Unknown said...

My oldest daughter has always been like that, with the clothing etc being too tight. I had to cut out her tags of all her clothes. And even now, at 10, if something doesnt feel good, she wont wear it. I have wasted so much money on her clothing that she just wont wear after a couple of times...

Anyway, I feel your pain... I totally understand!

My youngest daughter is sick also, and she is the one that gets everything and anything that is going around... Im just hoping and praying that it doesnt reach the rest of us!

Good luck to you guys! Jeri

Holly said...

Lois' nephew was always like that. His underwear was too tight. Tags bothered him to no end. I think his parents just tried to meet halfway. Somethings needed to be tight and other things they would try to help fix. He got past it and everyone survived. I'm sure there were moments where it was questionable.

Froggymama said...

Froggy is having sensory issues too. We've cut all tags out of her shirts, and forget turtle necks. Oh nooooo! I wish I could help. If you find the answers, let me know too!!!

Sheri said...

I haven't experienced this before. So, I'm not sure what to suggest. Maybe try keeping a log of when these times occur (day, time, what the problem was--too tight, etc, what was her behavioral response, how long did it last, how did you respond/react). The log can serve 2 purposes ... 1) it's an objective way of looking back at each episode to try to find a resolution, and 2) it's something you can take with you to talk with her dr about (the next time you go). Good luck!

Monogram Queen said...

I've never had an experience like that (too tight or tags etc) and never known anyone who has. I'm sorry you are going through it. I know toddlers can sometimes be quite a challenge. I'll be interested to see what advice you get on this.

Anonymous said...

My nephew has the same sensory issue. He has been going to therapy once a week for a few months now and it has helped soooo much. I'm not sure what they do with him but I know we all saw progress in a month or so. It's been great. He used to not wear clothes most the day and now he never complains anymore. Every kid is different and they all have their own issues so I am not sure what you have tried but I'll be praying for you and her. I know how hard it is to hear crying and complaining all day long. I swear most nights I go to bed at 8pm just because I am so worn out from meltdowns!

Heidi

Melanie said...

Sorry I can't contribute more than this: Evan doesn't like certain tags on the back of his shirts. I know I'm not much of a help, but I DO empathize with you completely!! I'm sure it's a phase - in another few months she'll want nothing to do with wearing a dress! :)

Susanica said...

Hi Casey. Just this weekend in the Washington Post, Family Almanac columnist Marguerite Kelly wrote about something similar. Her Q and A article is called “Coping With Irritability and Its Physical Causes”. You can go to www.washington.post.com and search on “allergies” to read it (the url is really long to print). She talked about allergies to detergents and foods as a cause of frustration about how clothes feel but also wrote about something called Sensory Processing Disorder and recommended reading more at http://www.SPDNetwork.org and to read "Sensational Kids" by Lucy Jane Miller. I’d never heard of it but I thought it was really interesting. Sorry to hear your daughter gets so stressed. That must be hard on all of you. Hope something here is helpful to you. –Monica