Monday, November 05, 2007

Organization

Yesterday, as I was reading through the Sunday Ad's, I discovered that a couple places had the storage system I have been thinking about getting on sale. A fairly decent sale, too, and since I have a couple of areas in my house that have been driving me up the wall I thought this might be a good time to do something about it. So, off we went.

We found the wooden unit at one place (the best sale price place - always good thought heir inventory is hit and miss to say the least) but the fabric cubes they had were only available in pastel green. Ummm...no thanks. So we headed off the other place that was having a sale. They had far too many color choices and I struggled to make the best choice. The set for Kelton's room was easy since his room is done in light and dark blue and I settled on dark blue and dark purple for the living room.

The the fun began! While Dakota and the kids built the units I went to work on cleaning up the disaster toy areas. I wish I had thought to take a "before" picture but alas, I was so thrilled to be able to bring organization to these two areas that it completely slipped my mind.

But here is the "after":
The living room toy corner (which previously had been the stack of containers, a huge oval wicker basket stuffed way too high of toys and a zillion toys stacked around everything). Believe it or not, I only discarded a few small toys. Everything else fits great inside a cube. I LOVE IT! The living room feels so much more peaceful in that area. Next on my "hit list" is Kaylen's doll corner. Wow. How many dolls does one girl need anyway? :)

This is Kelton's room. Instead of standing the until upright, I put it on its side for more stability. His laundry basket sits in front of two Lego bins and his Tinker Toys. The Safeway bag on top holds all his prized paper from the day (the boy has a "thing" for paper.....don't ask). Again, I tossed out precious little but now everything is neatly organized in a cube. It feels soooo good! He kept calling it "my new room" which cracked me up. :)

I tell you - I am on an organizational roll. Today the donation truck was scheduled and I happily send off eight over-stuffed kitchen-sized garbage bags of clothes removed from Dakota's and my closet as well as several other bags and boxes of miscellaneous house stuff. It feels sooooooooo good!!

6 comments:

Mieke said...

I want those. Where did you get them?

Casey said...

Mieke: They are from Closet Maid and I bought the wooden parts at KMart and the bins at Target. Target carries the wooden parts as well they were just more money. :) If you go to Target, they are in the hardware section near the fireplace stuff and bathroom stuff. All told, each unit costs about $60 for bins and cabinet.

Sheri said...

Thanks for the shopping tips. I all ready had "blue bins" on my to-do list and was thrilled when they popped into Sunday's Target ad. But, I've never seen the dark wood sets. Silly me, never thought to look at Kmart. They look awesome!

Monogram Queen said...

I know it does feel good. Some day i'll be there. Some day *sigh*

Kristen said...

Funny- I was just making up Audrey's christmas list which included organizers just like that. I can't wait for her stuff to have a home.

Lynilu said...

I love the end of an organizational day!

I strolled through a Container Store a few days ago, and it was a good thing that I was at the beginning of a 5 week trek or I would have bought a ton of things to take home for organization! I get a little goofy in stores like that which I do not see often because of my rural home setting! OK, a lot goofy, I admit.