Wednesday, November 07, 2007

Animals, Coffee and Lunch

Today was a day off from school for Kelton however that did not translate to "sleep late" for the two smallest members of the family. We were up and at 'em early *YAWN* but at least I didn't have to rush around. I did indeed enjoy a *hot* cup of coffee and I was able to read the entire morning paper in one sitting. But by 8:30 I was left wondering what fun thing we could go out and do....just like in the days before school became a fixture in our lives. I came up with a trip to the mall. Now normally a trip to our local mall would be received with shouts of joy and plans of all the things we would do but today my son had another idea.

He sat and pondered my "Is there anything special you would like us to think about doing today?" question for a few minutes and then he said "You know Mom, I'm having trouble deciding if I want to go to Build-A-Bear Workshop or the Lego Store." I stifled a giggle at how grown-up he sounded and then said "Well - I'll make this easier for you. I'm not willing to drive all the way to the mall with the Lego Store (it's about an hour away) for the simple reason being you don't really play that much with your Lego's right now. When I see you building, creating and having fun with them for a few days in a row, I might be willing to do that but not today."

The boy saw his chance and he took it. He sighed sadly and said "Ok - then I guess Build-A-Bear Workshop." Like it was a sad, pathetic second choice. :) At first I said, "You know, I think maybe we should save that for another day. We don't have enough funds in our "fun day account" (which is how I describe money we can spend on fun) to buy friends and all the clothes that you guys like to have for your friends. Now if we didn't buy clothes for friends, we might be able to do that but I'm not sure how you would feel about that." I waited to see what he would say............."DEAL!" He shouted, "Friends yes, clothes no. Let's go!" How can you not be impressed with his ability to compromise?

He went and shared the plan with Kaylen and they were ready to roll in about 15 minutes. No easy task when they were still in their jammies. :)

I drove to the mall that has the Build-A-Bear Workshop (about 25 minutes south of us) and before long, we were in the store. Of course my talk of "Mom has the final decision of which friends we can get today..." went right out the window when they eyed the friends they realyl wanted but we ended up being close to the budget I had in mind. Clothes were a non-issue as neither one brought it up (which is good because their other BABW friends who came home with clothes are no longer wearing them....except for the pink poodle from Disneyland. She is still wearing her outfit). Oh my gosh - I wish I had my camera. They were so friggin' adorable picking out their buddies (no easy feat for them), helping to stuff them, etc. I just love to watch them when they are that happy and that excited about something. And you know, without the clothes and accessories, the friends are actually pretty affordable. Not much more than buying any other stuffed animal.

Before long, they were saying their pledge about loving their friends and we were on our way......for Mommy's treat time! I located the Starbucks and savored a peppermint mocha. YUMMY!!!!!! I rarely have the opportunity to visit Starbucks these days so it was a big, big treat for me. :)

After that, the kids wanted to ride the kiddie rides that seem to be in every mall. We finally found them in the food court and the kids had a great time riding a couple. And then it was time to head home....or so I thought.

I placed a call to Dakota and she and I came up with the idea of meeting at her office for lunch so the kids could show off their new friends so off we went. We ended up spending a couple hours with Dakota before heading home. By the time we arrived home, we had been gone six hours. UGH! And I still had a mountain of work waiting for me. Needless to say, I am exhausted but we had a great day! As Kelton kept repeating throughout the day "This is the BEST DAY EVER!" And doesn't every parent like to hear that? :)



Kelton with his buddy, Computer Bear (don't ask - I just go with what they tell me when it comes to naming their friends).


Kaylen with "Koala"

6 comments:

Pam said...

Very cute! I have found that 0-3 mo. clothes fit pretty well on our Build a Bears. That way they have tons of clothes I didn't have to pay for and I get to see all of their cute baby clothes again.

Lynilu said...

I love those places. I buy for grandkids, but I long for them myself! Sighhh. Not enough room in my nest, however!

Monogram Queen said...

I have never been to Build-A-Bear yet. Guess that is on my to-do list! Hey hearing "this is the best day ever Mom" beats the heck out of feeling guilty over whatever you "should" have been doing! Those kids are adorable and I just love reading about your adventures! I bet they loved showing their friends off in Dakota's office.

Courtney said...

I have been thinking about going to a build a bear workshop, now I really want to. I think our oldest would enjoy it.

On a side note, I have to tell you that I love your daughters name. That was one of our choices for our youngest and decided on Callee instead. Just thought I'd tell ya.

Thanks for your understanding comment, it's nice to know you are not alone.

Melanie said...

Yay - Build-a-Bear! We love it there, and I agree it can get expensive! Luckily, Evan could care less about the clothes, accessories. I want Rudolph and Clarice!!!

Casey said...

Pam: I'm so impressed that you still have the girls 0-3 clothes. Those sizes are long gone for both my kids - except for the outfits in their keepsake boxes. *sigh* Now I wish I had kept some. :(

Lynilu: I hear you on the "not enough room". I'm not a suffed friend fan but the kids love them. And we have the bins full of them to prove it. :)

Patti: Definitely must go! Maddie would go crazy!! And you know my kids well - all they wanted to do was meet people and talk with them at Dakota's office. Funny!

The Stevens Family: Thanks! We struggled hard to come up with a girls name we loved. I was just weeks away from delivery when we settled on Kaylen. I'm glad you love it too! :) And you must definitely go to BABW! It's so much fun to watch your kids go nutty. :) :)

Melanie: Yay! I'm glad you love it there, too! :)