Thursday, November 15, 2007

It's Been a Day

Does it make me a bad mom that I did a happy dance as I walked out of my "just fallen asleep" son's room tonight? It wasn't him that I was glad was asleep - it was both of them. It was one of those days when bedtime couldn't come soon enough. I hate feeling like that but some days that's the way it is.

I was so desperate for bedtime that I agreed to letting them skip their bath. Wait - did I agree or did I suggest? Suggest. Yes, it was indeed me who suggested it. Only for the simple fact that I just couldn't take my daughter whining and crying at me for another second and when she started in after I said "Five more minutes and then it's bath time." I surrendered and decided to give in.

I. Just. Couldn't. Listen. To. It. For. Another. Second.

Dinner time had been a completely nightmare with her and I was feeling completely beat down.

She has been struggling with a cold for the past few days and she has seen to it that mommy has been as miserable as she. I finally looked at her today and said "Do you think you could stop whining at me for just a little bit today?" She agreed but that was short-lived. About 1.5 seconds of peace.

I know she wasn't feeling all that well but come on - a mom can only take so much!

Since we were skipping bath, Kelton wanted to know if he was going to have a bath in the morning. I looked at him like he had lost his ever-loving mind because who has time for that on a school day? I said "No. Why?" To which he replied "You said there is no skipping baths on school nights. Ever. End of story." Oh right. That was me (they hear "end of story" a lot and it cracks me up how they will repeat it back or use it when they talk with each other). I lamely said "True. And normally we wouldn't but this is special because tomorrow is Friday so it's OK." I have no idea why, but he bought that reasoning. It's sweet that he has no idea that makes absolutely no sense. :)

It's been a long, long, long day.

5 comments:

Sheri said...

I guess TGIF is taking on a whole new meaning in your house now (LOL). If I could, I would have moved bedtime up earlier, but I think I finally have his "internal clock" set and I'm not gonna mess with it (score "1" for the momma). We didn't have a whiny problem. We had the short attention span, demanding statements, and constant high speed motion (I seriously wondered if he'd gotten ahold of 10lbs of sugar ... he was OFF the walls today). Here's wishing you a calm & peaceful Friday! ... and lots of hugs from Brenda :-)

Monogram Queen said...

No it doesn't make you a bad Mommy at all. I have those days also and I only have one child to deal with. I can't imagine a tough day with two. You are FABULOUS Mommy!

Kristen said...

I have those days too, and feel especially bad when I pick her up at 4 and at 4:30 am wondering if it is bedtime yet!

Now you'll have to wait til next Thursday night and see if he tries to get out of taking a bath ;)

Mimi said...

No you are a good mommy, the reason why time out was first thought up is so we wouldn't hurt our children..lol....

Gandksmom said...

Friday was the day for me! I was so relieved when Cheryl walked through that door....oh wait, that's right, we had a party to go to so the madness just kept on going. I can only take so much whining myself, so I am right there with you!
Wendy