Monday, November 05, 2007

Method Cleaning Line

Wow. Who knew by making a statement of fact of what I was doing would come to warrant its own post but hey - life is about learning and learning is good.

As it turns out, Method isn't a "green" cleaner line of products but they are better than the usually suspects in regards to toxic vs non-toxic. I admit open and honestly to not really understanding the whole "green" thing in its entirety (hey - I've been busy raising kids for the past 5.5 years and things slide under my radar. It happens. *grin*) and I figured non-toxic was at least a move in the right direction. And it is. At least this is true for me.

After talking with Dakota this morning, she did a bit of looking and sent me a link to Green Living Q&A where Method cleaners are discussed.

Here is a link to Mom Go Green which my faithful blog reader, Stacey, sent to me in the comment section of the previous post. (Thanks Stacey!) There is a good comment from someone named Cheryl - scroll down to get it.

From that website, you can get to a list of Natural Cleaning Products which I found helpful and informative. Hope this info helps and I apologize for misleading anyone. Live and learn, right? :)

Interesting info. And Stacey, I'd love to get more info on green, affordable cleaners from you. :)

4 comments:

Perrin said...

Thanks for the info Casey. I think I said the "green" word which I just threw out there. I am happy to support products that are making efforts to be healthier.

Casey said...

Perrin: I used the word too. :) And I'm right there with you - every little bit counts. Every little bit.

Stacey said...

Sure they're making an effort but there are completely natural/green products that do an excellent job of cleaning so why not go all the way, right? Method claims to be natural but that's a bit of lie seeing as they contain unnatural ingredients. That's just something that ticks me off when companies can put stuff on their labels and mislead people. Sure they're better than the Mr. Clean and Windex but they shouldn't claim to be completely natural and they should disclose everything to the public. I don't know if it's the same in the US but companies do not have to put everything on their labels because it's considered their right to protect their formula. And there are a lot of big names on labels that we don't understand but really mean formaldehyde (spelling?) and pesticides. Not stuff you want in your home. Toxic cleaners also emit fumes even when they're closed!

Anyway, we got a wake up call at our prenatal class and dumped all of our old cleaners and switched to green products. That's when we first learned that Method isn't green.

What products do we use? Seventh Generation is a great company and their products work really well. We love their dish soap, bathroom cleaner, laundry detergent (but not for cloth diapers)... Another brand which is really, really cheap is Nature Clean. I find that it doesn't always work as well as Seventh Generation though. We have their dish soap right now and it's just not that great. There are really cheap laundry detergents like Eco Max and Ecover but they don't leave your clothes smelling all pretty so we prefer Seventh Generation and recently Angele picked up Ecos (Magnolia & Lily scent) and it is great! For shampoo, we haven't found one for ourselves that we like but we love Riley's Rain Baby Shampoo.

For "swiffering" the floor we use a Shark steam cleaner. It's much cheaper because you wash the cover rather than buying new ones.

You can also make your own cleaners which work really well. A lot of things (like a formula to unclog a drain) use baking soda and vinegar. I'm going to put some recipes up on our new site greenbaby101.com

Some grocery stores are starting to carry more green products like Nature Clean (here in Canada I know you can get it at Dominion) but we usually make a bi-monthly trip to our local natural food store to pick up all of our cleaning supplies.

Hope that helps.

Stacey said...

I created a page with the info on vinegar and baking soda uses here. :)