Wednesday, May 14, 2008

Swim Little Fishies, Swim!

The kids, along with their friends Carson and Katie, started swimming lessons last night. Kaylen loved it but Kelton...well...he wasn't so sure. From the look of things, it was going quite well but then he left his group and indicated to me that he had to go to the bathroom (which yes, he had done 15 minutes earlier). In the bathroom he melted into a puddle of tears and said he didn't want to do it. After talking with him and explaining that quitting isn't an option, he left me and rejoined his class. He just sat watching but at least he was with his class.

After the lesson Dakota and I showered him with praise over what he *had* done in the class and completely ignored what he hadn't. It seems to have worked and he is ready to go back tomorrow for his second lesson.

Kaylen, on the other hand, was giddy with joy over her experience and can't wait to go back. She said with a big happy smile, and I quote, "I'm going to do even better next time!"

Waiting for the start of class.

Silly Little Fishy

Kaylen with her class. It was soooo hard to leave her at the pool and go to the observation lobby. My baby near water without me. Big step for us both!

Kelton walking to his side of the pool - which made photo taking near impossible.


Kaylen, sitting on the wall listening to instructions.

3 comments:

Tanya said...

Looks like a fun pool! I'm looking into lessons too. Hope it goes better the second day.

Sheri said...

Looks like the kids did great! I think you'll have good luck on day 2, especially since it is supposed to be so hot outside--good motivation to swim!

I'm still struggling to get mine to put the swimsuit on ... we haven't even made it into a pool :-( I blame the "Y" chromosome (he says he's a sinker not a swimmer). I'm a fish by birth sign and swam competitively. Hopefully this summer goes better for us.

Monogram Queen said...

I salute you for not giving in and making him stick it out.

Awww Kaylen looks so little compared to the others!