Wednesday, May 28, 2008

Zoo Day for the Boy

It's field trip day for Kelton and the kindergarten classes are heading to the zoo. They are probably already on the road as I type this. He is very excited but me? I'm a bit anxious over the whole thing. I played up the whole "You're going to have a great time!" aspect but I feel conflicted. My baby at a huge place like the zoo without family to be sure he is safe. Scary for the mom!

Over the past week I've softly but carefully drilled him on his phone number, his address, what to do if he loses sight of his group, what adults are the safest to ask for help, etc. He gets it all. He knows the answers and yet still....I am a worrier when the kids are away from me. Maybe on some level I think my worrying will ensure their safety. I don't know. It's not like I have an overwhelming urge to buy life insurance for kids or anything. I'm not *that* much of a whack-job about him going on a field trip....thankfully. :)

All I know is I sent my baby boy, lunch bag in hand, off for a day at the zoo with his classmates. A big day - for both of us! I hope he has a great time and I can't wait to pick him up this afternoon.

3 comments:

Audra said...

how exciting! I can even vaguely remember my first trip. I was always mommas little girl, so I was SO scared, but as soon as we got there, I remember just having so much fun with my classmates.

Anonymous said...

I know I have said it before but we are the same person!!!

My Kg'er just went to the zoo as well. I was so nervous about it. I also grilled him about our phone number, address etc. I also talked to the teacher and let her know that I do not want Lukas to go into the men's bathroom alone. He is to young and I want him to be with someone at all times. Those bathrooms are huge and he could get lost in there. My husband thought I was crazy and over reacting. Now I know I am not alone!!

Heidi

Monogram Queen said...

I would be very nervous too. Glad it turned out okay though :)