Monday, May 05, 2008

Sidewalk Painting

It was a beautiful day here today - and yesterday was equally so! Finally a couple days when I didn't spend a good part of it mopping up muddy tracks across the floors from dogs and kids. Nice!

Kaylen and I spent the morning in Kelton's classroom and then came back to spent the hour between our leaving the school and needing to return to pick up Kelton outside in the yard. We played hide and seek, tag and restaurant drive through (an all time favorite! One of their play structures has a window in it and Kaylen loves to sit inside and take my order. Funny how a mocha comes out looking like a football though. :) ).

After picking up Kelton and settling everyone in, Kaylen and I returned to playing outside. The sun was shining and you would have *thought* I would think "Hey - sunscreen on the daughter who is running around in her sleeveless party dress would be a stellar idea!" but noooooo......so, she is a tad bit pink on her shoulders tonight. *sigh* Was sunscreen hard to find? No. I bought a new bottle a couple weeks ago and it is sitting on the counter right next to the back door. My only excuse is I am out of the sunscreen habit....and I clearly need to get back into it.

As the afternoon wore on, the kids were getting restless so I decided to try out a new thing: sidewalk painting. I found a recipe in a magazine a couple months ago and I kept it for future reference. It was so easy and the kids had a blast!! Yes, it was messy but it dries to a chalky consistency and washes away easily. Two thumbs up from the mom and four thumbs up from the kids! This is definitely something we will be doing again.











The recipe is simple:
1/4 cup corn starch
1/4 cup cold water
Food coloring

Instant fun! :)

7 comments:

Unknown said...

I will definately have to do that here, the kids would love that. Thanks for the idea! Jeri

Audra said...

how cool!!

Sheri said...

I "almost" mised the recipe at the end ... cause all I could think was "How can I make some?" Duhhh, good thing I paused before clicking on the comment link. I can't wait to try it out.

Monogram Queen said...

I am sure they have their "moments" as all children do, but Kelton and Kaylen seem to play SO well together!

Melanie said...

What a GREAT change from sidewalk chalk!! We will definitely be trying that one over here too!

SJayneI said...

Thanks for sharing; I will definitely be trying that. Probably even today!!!

Julie said...

That does sound like an easy recipe! I'll have to try that. Thanks! Great photos of the kids playing together.