Monday, May 26, 2008

People Suck

Yeah yeah - I know not all do but right now, I'm not feeling the love.

"Get your damn kid outta here!"

That is what was hurled at the kids and I today and I have to say, it really struck a nerve with me. I'm pissed. Waaaaaay pissed.

We took a (failed) trip to the mall this afternoon for the sake of getting out of the house hoping to shake everyone from the funky moods we all seemed to have going. While there, the kids had to go to the bathroom so we went into the lounge in Nordstrom. As is the case with the kids and I, we all took a stall, locked the doors and went about our business. Kaylen has been requesting to go potty alone for about 6 months now and I have no problem with this. It's never been an issue.

Today, however, she decided for some unknown reason to peek under the stall wall and the person she peeked in on was...well...I thought way out of line. Yes - it was rude of Kaylen. Yes - she has been talked to about why this is rude and that we should never, ever do it. Yes - she isn't perfect.

But seriously? That line and two others almost identical in the fact that she called my three year old a "damn kid" really pushed my buttons.

Immediately upon figuring out it must be one of my kids this 20-something was freaking out about, I called out Kaylen's name and asked if she was ok. (To which the reply came from the b-itch again about "my damn kid") I said something like "Kaylen. Stand up in your own stall now."

I raced to fasten my jeans and bolted out of my stall as quick as possible. My poor baby was terrified! She wouldn't open her stall door at first but then I talked her into it. The look on her face - OMG! It killed me. So sad and confused and hurt and scared and...well..just and everything you don't want to see in your baby's eyes.

Kaylen meant no harm. She's freakin' three years old. I muttered under my breath (after the third reference to my "damn kid") that I was sure they had *never* been three years old before and had never made a mistake(oh yes - she did indeed have two friends with her that said some pretty nasty thing as well. One even had an infant. Just wait my friends - karma will bite you in the ass over this one!). Then I spoke to my child to reassure her that everything was ok but that we never, ever peek under the stalls because it isn't nice but that everything was really ok. "You are just learning, honey. You're going to make mistakes. It's ok." I told her. Kaylen didn't say a word - she just looked so incredibly shattered.

Meanwhile my blood was boiling and I was wishing like hell I was more confrontational because I would have jumped all over them. I mean seriously. There were about 10 other ways she could have handled that. The easiest, of course, would have been to gently say something like "Oh honey - it isn't nice to peek under the wall. Will you please go back to your stall." I know that's what *I* would have said - and have said because what child doesn't, at some time, peek under stall doors and walls whether in a bathroom or a changing room. I did it as a kid and I'm willing to bet all of you have done it too.

For crying out loud - she's THREE.

Sometimes I hate people.

16 comments:

Unknown said...

Ok, first off, I want to say I am soooooo sorry to hear what happened. Poor Kaylen! Yes, Karma will get that b@#%ch and get her good... I cant believe she called Kaylen a name like that. How horrible! For her and for you! Second, it must be the day today, because my kids were in a funky mood, I was in a funky mood. It was definately strange.

Just know that the day is over and we start off fresh in the morning.

Give Kaylen a big hug for me, and tell her she is a wonderful child!

Jeri

Tanya said...

Right there with you!!!
I would have loved to say something like, "Dang, I hope no kid ever has the displeasure of finding you as thier parent. Go get tied"

And Justus has been in the same type of mood all weekend.

Off to the dentist tomorrow. :)

Anonymous said...

Ugg, some people are so wrapped up in themselves they just don't get that what they say effects other people...

what a bitch!

(loving tanya's response!!!)

Brenda said...

Wow!

Yikes!

I just don't know what to say. How horrible for you and for Kaylen. People who do not have kids (or have forgotten how their grown children once acted) just don't get it. I can't believe someone would talk to a 3 year old like that.

I'm really sorry. I like Jeri's advise; tomorrow is a new day.

amy4 said...

You are right - I think most little ones have done this before (I know mine have) - this girl was way out of line! I am so sorry this happened to Kaylen. Tomorrow will definitely be a better day...

Mimi said...

OMG how did you NOT kick her ass??? My mouth would of put me over....yes my children are GROWN and yes I sometimes forget how three years old are....yes people don't raise their children like we rasied ours... however she 3 for godsakes...three holy shit....I would of done what you said I would of just smiled and said what you would of....and I would of been laughing all the way home....3 I say...just wait until her baby turns three...never say my child will NEVER do that because they will....Give little Kaylen a big old hug for me...now I'll be laughing about that cute little face peeking for hours....

Anonymous said...

You are a better mom then me. My temper would of shot through the roof and I would have gone off on them. But, that would have been the worst thing to teach my kids. You did the right thing by calmly talking to K.

Last night my husband and I took the kids to Famous Dave's for dinner. We sat at a large round table. My kids (all 4 with one being 1 week old) were coloring and being so good. This couple came and sat next to us. Once they saw all of our kids they called over their waitress to be moved. We heard them saying that they wanted to eat in peace and quiet. They didn't want their dinner being ruined by babies. They really said that. I was so angry because my kids didn't even peep. They were so busy coloring and being quiet.

I just can't stand people who act like this is their world and they have a right to perfection. Anyhow- sorry to hear about this. I actually find it kinda cute that she peeked under the stall. I mean, I can totally remember doing that as a kid!!!

Heidi

Sheri said...

(Mouth still hanging open in shock) I sure hope Karma gets her good and fast! I'm sooo sorry she hurt Kaylen in that way. She was so totally out of line. I hope Kaylen is doing ok, and you too!

Monogram Queen said...

Madison does it too and I have to get on her about it also. Oh boy that girl can thank her lucky STARS it wasn't me in there. I would have ripped her and her friends a new one. Seriously. You don't talk to or about children in that way. You just don't.

Tracey said...

Oh man, that is INFURIATING! Poor Kaylen! Karma is going to chomp that beastly creature big time for being so evil to a child.

Lynilu said...

You know, Casey, I've noticed that people in general are becoming more rude and unforgiving about small stuff. It is unfortunate that poor little Kaylen was in the wrong place at the wrong time with her natural curiosity. She can't have developed the ability to know that she shouldn't do that, not at her age! The woman-child who verbally attacked her obviously lacks maturity of her own, as it's clearly not like K was an adult breaking rules. The sad thing is that she will likely pass this nastiness on to her own progeny at some point, making the world just that much less nice to be in.

I applaud you for your handling of yourself .... I would likely have lost it at the ignorant little witch, lowering myself to her level. Don't you wonder where her mother was? Obviously she is too young to be released on her own. Oh, but that's the crux of the problem .... her mother didn't teach her as you have already begun to teach K!!!

Smile, sweetie, ya dun gud!!!

A Jersey Girl said...

Casey,
What a wonderful mom you are! The fact that you were able to remain calm during this entire thing is amazing. Being from Jersey and all, I know I would have had a few too many unkind words to send her way, but you did the right thing in reassuring Kaylen and not kicking the chick's ass:)

And I only wish you could be there when karma does bite her in the ass, and it will:)

Shannon said...

Oh my god, that is horrible. what a way to talk to a little kid! Some people have no sense at all. And of course all kids peek under the stall - I remember doing it when I was her age!

Audra said...

what is up her butt?!?!?! i can't believe she was such a biatch about that!!!

Melanie said...

B-OTCH!!!!! If I was there with you, I probably would have embarassed the hell out of you for reaming that stupid piece of fungus a new one!! Oooooh, my blood is boiling!

Froggymama said...

Poor Kaylen. I can totally relate because Froggy is just as audacious and inquisitive... so of course they're going to peak under stalls, and ask questions and be their silly selves.

Fortunately nothing can squash the spirits of kiddos with that much moxie! So even incredibly mean and heartless people like the woman you described are no match for our girls.

The other day while grocery shopping, Froggy had a major meltdown, was screaming, spilled her snacks all over the aisle, and the looks we received were humiliating. But then a woman came up to us (who obviously had kids) and she tickled Froggy and made her laugh and said, "What a beautiful girl and mommy," and suddenly it made up for all the morons who have never had to deal with toddler tantrums. So for every jerk, it's good to know there is a mom or friend who understands, relates and empathizes! xoxo