Thursday, May 01, 2008

Clean(er) Carpets

I cleaned my carpets today. It took me 2 hours and I'm sure that if I did them again tomorrow I would pull an equal amount of muck from them but they are so much better than they were.

We had been cleaning them. Frequently. But apparently our (now previous) carpet cleaner sucked. Or rather, didn't. We would put the water and cleaning solution into the carpet but we pulled precious little back into the dirty water chamber. It recently got to the point where we were running the carpet cleaner every other week and it still didn't feel any cleaner. The Agility may be lightweight and compact but that's about it as far as gold star performance. At least for us. I did a quick check and people write rave reviews about it. Maybe we had a bad one. I don't know. We had it looked at twice and they said it was fine.

So....I decided to go by a cleaner like the one we had about a year and a half ago. Bissell ProHeat. I loved our last one but we worked that sucker hard for a few years and it started developing problems. Imagine my delight when I went into a discount place last week and saw a ProHeat for $90. Sure, it's not the lastest, greatest model but it would do the job! And do it it did!!

WOW! The mucky, muddy water I pulled up (and so much of it was pulled back into the dirty water chamber! YAY!) was so rewarding. I would like to run it again soon to see about removing some more yuck but for now - I'm pretty happy.

After cleaning the carpets, retrieving Kelton from school, running to the store to pick up a birthday present for a nephew's party on Saturday that I totally forgot about, and getting the kids fed and settled in I went to work cleaning the house. All the regular stuff like dusting, bathrooms, organizing the never ending piles of toys, etc. Can you say "too much in one day"? Holy moly am I sore. I cringe to think how my back will feel tomorrow. My arms and hands are going numb just sitting here typing.

But...at least the house is in decent shape. Maybe next time I'll remember that house cleaning and carpet cleaning should not be done on the same day. But then, probably not. :)

On the great news front: Dakota is down to only one final left and then it's summertime! WOOOHOOOOO!!!!!!!!!! The kids start swimming lessons in two weeks and Kelton will be out of school in six weeks. Summer really IS coming....even if the rain and cloudy days don't give any indication of such. :)

8 comments:

Audra said...

i love our carpet cleaner! i am so fascinated when i clean and get to look at all the nastiness that was living in our carpets!

Sheri said...

Congratulations on a very productive day (though you were missed this morning)!!! I am literally in awe ... and, if you feel the need to clean carpets again in the near future ... you're welcome to do mine! (*big grin*)

Dakota said...

The house looks amazing! Great job, Honey! Thank you for taking on so much. Hope you are not too sore today.

Love,
Me

Tanya said...

Woman, how do you do it all? Kids, cleaning, projects, and all the other stuff. I'm so horrible at housekeeping, I've decided we need a second wife. On another note, don't you just love the carpet cleaners? We were thankful to have one (Agility actually) when J decided to be a sickie all over R and the floor several months back.

Monogram Queen said...

Yay for summertime.... AND for mucky muddy water!

Stacey said...

Glad you found a new carpet cleaner. See, that's why I like hardwood? Carpets are hard with kids/pets. I feel for you.

Anonymous said...

Holy buckets! Can you bring that carpet cleaner over here? My rugs are in such terrible shape! Three dogs, two kids + friends and a pack rat husband who is driving me nutso make alot of dirt!

Lynilu said...

I wanna see pictures of the yucky-mucky water you puled out of the carpet!! LOL!! I need to find a good one that doesn't cost a fortune. Meanwhile, I probably need to rent one. I dread seeing what come out of mine!!