Monday, April 07, 2008

Ticket for One to Outter Space

Cara, my brother's girlfriend, makes these really cool duvet covers for the beds in their house and every time I visit I am just amazed and what she creates. The concept isn't difficult but she really pulls off an amazing and professional job on them. I keep telling myself I need to learn to make button holes because really, it's the only thing holding me back and it would be so much fun to make them for all of us - such a simple way to change the feel of a room!

Cara made one for Kaylen's bed this past Christmas - it's pink flannel with snowmen on it and it's just the softest thing! But taking her skill to a completely new level, she made a space ship cover for Kelton for his birthday. Kelton LOVES it. LOVES it. He was so delighted with it when he opened up the gift that he started rolling around in it immediately. Once we got home he couldn't wait for us to remove his stars and moons comforter and put on his new bedding.

After he admired it for a while he said "Where do you think they bought this?" so I explained that Cara had handmade it for me (I thought he had understood that before but clearly not). That was too much for him - he was in complete disbelief that she had designed and created the cover specifically for him. There is no other one like it in the world!

Here is what it looks like (never mind Kaylen - she refused to move out of the way and every time I took a picture she would jump in the way. Silly monkey girl!):


(and yes, she made the matching pillow case, too)

(close up of the rocket)

Rocket boy sound asleep in his space bed.

Isn't it great??

5 comments:

Melanie said...

This is WONDERFUL!! What a talent, and how special for the kids to get these handmade gifts.
LOVE the rocket/space theme!!

Audra said...

Wow! That is seriously one of the coolest comforters I have EVER seen.

Anonymous said...

Wow! I'm flattered that my work is considered blog-worthy, and I'm absolutely THRILLED that Kelton loves his space bed so so much!!! The picture of him asleep with it makes me so happy!

Cara

Anonymous said...

amazing!!

Tracey said...

That is AMAZING! I would love to be able to do something like that. Cara it's beautiful!