Saturday, April 05, 2008

Home Depot with the Kids

The first Saturday of each month The Home Depot hosts a kids workshop - for free. All you have to do is take the kids there sometime between 9:30-1:00 and put together the kit of the month. It's easy enough that the most challenged among us can do and the kids get to walk away with a project that THEY made. My two are so, so proud of their project.

We did once before - when Kelton was three - and we always meant to continue it but then Dakota started school and life on Saturdays changed. Yesterday a friend mentioned that her husband was taking their kids today and I thought "I bet I could do that. I think they are both old enough now that we could do that and be successful." and lo and behold, that's exactly what happened. Yay us! :)

Today the project was a planter box and I am beyond proud to say my kids are naturals. I did precious little to help either one of them and yes, that included the hammering of nails (though while holding the pieces of wood together for Kaylen I thought I was going to lose a finger as she swung that hammer towards my hand. :)).

They may not ever be a futures broker but I think they could both do well as contractors. LOL!!


Ah shoot - pictures speak louder than words so here you go:





12 comments:

SassyFemme said...

I had no idea Home Depot did that. What a great idea.

Audra said...

how cute!!

Shannon said...

That looks so fun! I didn't know Home Depot did that.

Monogram Queen said...

I LOVE that Home Depot does this and must remember to take Maddie to one

Sheri said...

They look so proud of their boxes. I wish Nick took direction better. I'm pretty sure I'd lose a thumb, a hand, or some other body part with him swinging a hammer (LOL). Looks like it was a lot of fun.

Lynilu said...

I love their expressions, the concentration of Kaylen, the tongue out the corner of the mouth determination of Kelton, and that final picture with them both looking so proud! Great!!!

Shawna said...

wow! you are awesome! I don't know if i'm brave enough to brave my little reece with a hammer! but they would love that so much! Maybe one of these weekends I'll make g take them.

Brenda said...

Yeah! It looks like they had a lot of fun too. My kids brought home the same planter boxes. :o)

Melanie said...

Evan would LOVE that! Was it super busy there?

Froggymama said...

So cute. Gotta love Home Depot!

Keri said...

Shut up! That is so cute! Look how proud they are of their amazing creations! :)
You're so great - what a cool thing to do!

Anonymous said...

How cool is that?! I love the pictures! They look so proud of themselves! :)