Tuesday, April 15, 2008

The Great Bug Hunt

My kids love to bug hunt. I personally find it on the "eeeew-y" side of things but the kids (and Dakota) find great thrills in finding and identifying bugs. Being the mother I am...which is one who encourages her children's desires and talents...I bought each of them (the kids, not Dakota. She has to share with the kids.) a bug finder magnifying glass.

They love it! It will ask questions about the bug they have found and then will try to ID it for them. They have also discovered the delight of trying to trick the bug finder by showing it something not real, say a doll bottle, and then set about giving it no answers to "Does it have wings?" and "Does it have legs?". Kaylen will actually try to give it hints in her little voice (I'm not sure why she thinks it can hear her but she does) "Nooooo....dis isn't a bug at all. Guess again!"

I wonder how much longer I can put them off when they ask me to go turn over pieces of wood or flower pots so they can find creepy crawly things.

Eeeeeew.

2 comments:

Tanya said...

How cool! Justus would love it too. They're learning about bugs at school right now. The teachers even sent away for butterfly cocoons and ladybug larve. Fun!

Lynilu said...

I can almost hear Kaylen's little voice, and I'll bet she gets that cute teasing look, too, when she says that!