Monday, April 21, 2008

Joining the 21st Century


I have an MP3 player! I know most of you are probably thinking "Yeah? So what? I've had one for years." but this is the very first one that has ever been in our house. We have just never had a need nor a desire for one. (Thank you, Dakota, for suggesting we get one for me!!)

What was I thinking???

I had no idea how much fun it would be to listen to my music while I cleaned. I didn't have to listen to the strains of Max and Ruby or ICarly or whatever show the kids were watching. I could listen to music *I* like! Even in the car I have no say over what we listen to. You without children (or those smart enough never to have let your child know child-friendly music can be listened to in the car) scoff but seriously, whenever I turn on the radio I hear "Barney!! I want Barney music!" from the backseat. If I ignore the demands, try to worm my way out of listening to the Barney CD one. more. time. or worse, flat out say "No honey. Mommy is going to listen to the radio right now." the ear piercing screaming begins. Eventually, I will give in because I can't hear my music anyway.

Most days the radio/CD stays silent because I just can't bring myself to listen to kid tunes more often than necessary.

But now I have an MP3 player (and it's so tiny!) and life is good! No, I can't listen to it in the car (I'm safety minded like that - go figure) but I can listen to it while I fold laundry, sweep, mop, vacuum or do dishes. Yay!!!

I tried to take a photo of my actual unit but I just couldn't get the lighting right tonight. Frustrating!!! But yes, I actually did get the pink one just like shown above. Cute, isn't it?

PS..Keep reading. I was a posting freak today!

5 comments:

Mimi said...

I don't have one and I really don't see the need for one....both of my children are grown and gone....but when the granddaughter comes over boy do I get tired of more Dora? thats all I hear More dora?.... have fun with it....

Monogram Queen said...

I bought Stacy and myself iPods for Christmas 2006 and then turned around and sold them. I just couldn't get them working properly but now i'm thinking i'd like another try. I know i'd love having all kinds of cool music at my fingertips!

Lynilu said...

In the car my grandkids have a choice of DVD with earphones or iPod with earphones. Oh, they can opt to listen to the grown-up's music, too! Yes, it was a little more expensive to buy the extra iPod (they bought the cheapest one), but this way, the parents' ears are not encumbered with ear phones, so they can hear kids' voices and traffic noise, etc. Safer that way. (Now around the house, turn that baby on!!!!) Just a thought. Your kids are a bit younger, but they began this at about age 6-8, and the kids did well with the iPod. It got lost just once, and when they had to listen to grown-up music, guess what?? THEY FOUND IT!!

Personally, I love my iPod. I plug it into the home theater system, the Boze dock, or the car sound system. Nice!

Caroline said...

I was so happy when I got my first MP3 player (a little over a year ago) and I realized how much I had been missing. Soon you will be wanting an iPod which is soooo cool.

I sometimes wait when it comes to technology because it really scares me.

Casey said...

Mimi: I hear you on that one. I get so tired of it too though around here it's "MAX AND RUBY!" yelled and commanded at the same time. :)

Audra: It really is!

Patti: Try again - I bet you will love it!

Lynilu: I've actually considered how great it would be to have the kids have their own (very inexpensive) MP3 players. Maybe for Christmas. :)

Caroline: I'm so low tech that I doubt I will ever have a need for an iPod (mostly because the thought of learning to use it makes my head hurt - *grin*). I'm beyond thrilled I figured this one out. LOL!! :)