Thursday, January 03, 2008

Winter Break

I am loving winter break. Loving it!! Dakota just returned to work yesterday for the first time in twelve days. Twelve days! I can't remember the last time we had twelve days in a row to spend together - and as a family. It's been heaven! Better than I ever dreamed it would be. I know I haven't blogged in just about forever but honestly, when it comes right down to it, I'd much rather spend time with Dakota than sit at the computer blogging. Forgive me, dear readers, but when it comes to Dakota or you...well...Dakota wins. But I know you all understand. :) Tough choice - curled up on the couch, catching up with my wife as we watch the fire burning in the fire place or sitting in this not-really-all-that-comfortable chair blogging....hmmmm...which would you choose? :) :)

We have done so much in the couple of weeks but for the life of me, I can't think of much to share with you. I did end up buying a new computer which has been a source of a few problems (MandM, you asked about Vista....I think I would opt to have the new computer loaded with XP. I'm just saying.....). ToonTown still managed to give us grief but I think we (well...my brother actually) tracked down the problem to our old modem. We now have a new one from the cable company and all appears to be working well. Of course, I haven't yet reconnected the router. If it starts to give us trouble after I do that, clearly it will be a router issue. *sigh* Have I mentioned that I'm not so much into technology troubleshooting? I jsut want things to work. Is that so much to ask?

But here is something; I was moaning to my brother about how we were having trouble with the new system and all that Disney said we needed to do to make the game work on the brand new computer and going over the trouble we had on the old CPU when he suggested I bring up the old CPU when we visited the next day. Now here is something I didn't know about my brother - he is a Jack of All Trades! Within an hour he had the old computer fixed, updated and running like new. LIKE NEW!! Then he also fixed, updated, upgraded and had my laptop running like new. And both ran ToonTown perfectly! He then provided us with all the equipment necessary to hook both CPU's to the monitor, keyboard and mouse which will allow us to toggle back and forth between the CPU's giving us a child-friendly computer and a "no kids allowed" computer. How totally cool is that??? My brother rocks! :)

In other news - the kids both have horrible colds. Kelton, having an immune system of steel, is doing ok. The cough is nasty but otherwise, he is doing ok. Sadly, it knocked Kaylen on her cute little butt. In between her fever and throwing up illness, she had about 12 hours of feeling well. Poor little girl. Yesterday she barely moved off the couch - today she is feeling a bit better though still clearly not well. Hopefully tomorrow we will see even more improvement.

And when I have time I fully intend of downloading my photos from my camera. It's hard to believe but I haven't done that yet. I know. I'm as shocked as you. :)

9 comments:

Monogram Queen said...

Honey I will take back-seat to Dakota and the family any day. I'm family-oriented like that! ;)

So glad your brother was able to hook up your computers. I wish I had those abilities but it just makes me cross-eyed! (and cranky)

Hope babygirl is feeling better. We are blessed with a kid with a pretty good immune system too but I really feel for them when they do get sick.

Shannon said...

Glad you got to have a nice long period of family time. Sorry to hear the kids are sick and hope Kaylen is feeling better soon.

Stacey said...

Glad your computers are working well and that your brother was able to help you out. Nice to see you blogging again but I know what you mean about life taking over and how nice that can be. :)

Lynilu said...

I think if it is humanly possible everyone shule have a "kid computer" and an "adult's only" computer. I know it isn't always possible, but my kids both have it like you do, and it is nice that the kids can be on the computer without having to hang over their shoulders.

As far as preferring Dakota to us ... hrumph! No, I understand completely, and I hope you two can always be like that. Very cool. :)

Brenda said...

Sounds like it has been a wonderful Christmas break for you and your family!

Mimi said...

You knw I agree with you...time with the family is great...my husband says life is backwards...we shouldn't have to go to work until we are 62.....so we can enjoy our families like we should....hummmmm good idea!!!!

em1__mak2 said...

Can I borrow your brother??? After much debating, I've decided to stick with my old laptop and take a vacation this year, instead. Can't do both and I go a little batty without travel. Just need to get this thing running well again.

Glad you've had a nice family break. M and I head back to school on Monday after 2 weeks home. I'm not ready. He's been begging to go back since the day after Xmas.

mel

Melanie said...

Casey, I am soooo with you on celebrating those 12 days!!! We had 12 also, and they were FABULOUS! Total family rejuvenation, don't you think? Love it!

SassyFemme said...

Yeah for relatives who can do techie stuff for us!

Here's hoping the kids are better soon!