Tuesday, January 15, 2008

School Called on Account of Ice

We all got a little unexpected surprise this morning - Kelton had the day off from school! As I was laying in bed this morning trying to come to terms with actually getting up Kelton came bounding into the room saying loudly "Mom called and school is two hours late because the roads are icy! YAY!!!!!!!"

"Hmmm...' I thought to myself, 'two hours late would mean morning kindergarten must be cancelled." I went out to check my email. Dakota and I are both signed up for alerts from the school and they arrive in our email and as text messages to our phones. It's actually quite handy. Sure enough, the email said no AM kindergarten. Kelton wasn't the only one happy about that. Lazy mornings are much preferred over the hurried "Come on - you need to eat your breakfast." and "Are you dressed yet? We have to leave in 15 minutes." mornings.

I looked outside and sure enough - it looked like a skating rink out there. I was surprised that it had gotten as cold as it had. Yesterday afternoon the skies opened up and dumped quite a bit of rain on us - so much so that the gutters on the street had rivers of water rushing down them and puddles were jsut sittingon the grass. With everything so wet, the world became a Jack Frost paradise when the temps took an unexpected dive. You could actually see the ice crystals on everything.

It wasn't a snow day (which all four of us live for) but it was still an unexpected surprise. Kelton went to bed hoping desperately for another day off. I told him it is highly unlikely but even I wouldn't mind another one.

The kids played so well together all day. This evening found them playing school (Kaylen even insisted on "Center Piece" which is what she thinks "Centers" is called. It's the time before the second bell rings when Kelton's class has time to work on puzzles, draw on the dry erase board, build with legos, etc.). From school they created a bus (complete with seatbelts made from Dakota's belts) to go on a trip and somehow they ended up at a hotel with a swimming pool that was also next to the beach. They got a great deal on a room, too! Kelton told me it only cost them $10.99 a night. Gotta love that. :)

I love when they play imagination games - it's so much fun to listen to them. I hope they continue their game tomorrow afternoon - I can't wait to see what happens next. :)

9 comments:

Sheri said...

Sounds like a nice day! I hope they keep on coming for you.

Julie said...

Oh how I wish my children would play that nice together! They play well for about all of two seconds, then the fighting begins.

Unknown said...

How do you get those alerts? Which website, the schools or the district? I need that, because whenever I am wondering, I have to search the news sites on tv, the computer, and the radio, and it seems to take forever.

I liked the two hour delay, my kids were able to sleep in and they were in a much better mood. I prefer that than the whole day snow day! Jeri

Monogram Queen said...

Yes a child's imagination is a wonderful thing! I love to "listen in" on Maddie too! So funny!
Yay for (n)ice days!

Shannon said...

Ahhh, unexpected days off school are the BEST when you're a little kid. Your kids have wonderful imaginations. I love reading about the games they come up with.

Mimi said...

I'm with you.....I LOVE it when my kids were home.....I have friends that couldn't wait for school....guess we're weird....lol...

Lynilu said...

I absolutely love listening to kids planning imaginary lives, especially when they don't know you're eavesdropping! Their creativeness is just adorable and sweet!

BTW, if you find the name of that hotel, please send it to me!!

Rainbow Momma said...

How fun! I love imagination playing. It's so cute!

Brenda said...

I love when the kids play make believe. Mine into being animals.