Wednesday, January 30, 2008

I'll Huff and I'll Puff and I'll Blow Your House Down

Wow - the wind is howling tonight. I had heard that it was supposed to get windy tonight and yet the sound of the trees blowing and the swings clanging still came as a bit of a surprise. I don't know why exactly, as I've never had a tree fall on a house I've lived in but whenever the wind gets to blowing this hard I think quickly about our home owners insurance and try to remember what they cover when a tree does fall on a house.

Long ago and far away I worked for an agent of a major insurance company and it's weird how often I use knowledge that I gained from that job. Home and Auto insurance - I used to know it inside out and backwards.

Most "Acts of God" aren't covered but, if I remember correctly, if a tree falls insurance will pay to repair the damage done to the house but not to remove the tree from the house (I dare you to try to fix damage without moving the tree but whatever...). I always thought that was weird. I guess the question would be - if a windstorm isn't considered an "Act of God" then what exactly is it? (Totally rhetorical for those who do not believe in God..... I'm just saying.)

See what happens when I'm tired? I ramble on and on and make not one lick of sense. Guess it's time to turn off the computer and go rest while I watch TV. Not like there is much on to watch these days. I'm finding I am watching way too much Home Improvement. :) It's a late school night for Dakota so I have lots of time to occupy. *sigh*

3 comments:

Monogram Queen said...

I love to hear the wind.. love it .. love it ...love it. Trees falling on my house/car/stuff. Not so much!

newduck said...

The joy of being a renter is that every time something goes wrong in the world (floods in India, mudslides in California) I call up my renter's insurance company and make sure I'm covered for that particular calamity. I currently have about $40,000 worth of insurance on the contents of my apartment, for which I pay about $40 per year in insurance. The downsides of renting, of course, are my much-discussed (if you go through my blog archives) and much-disgusting neighbors.

Lynilu said...

In the last couple weeks, I've been hearing about winds all over the country and Canada. I know it has been awful here!