Tuesday, January 29, 2008

Well now....

Dakota and I realized yesterday that neither one of us had asked where the syrinx (cyst) in my spine is located. I don't know why but I had thought it was only one or two vertebrae in length - I mean, surely it wouldn't be more than that.

This afternoon I sent an email to the neuro-doc to inquire as to its location. Imagine how you could have knocked me over with a feather when he responded it was from T6 to T10! Ummm...that's the length of 5 vertebrae in an area that only has 12. That's almost HALF of the thoracic spine area. Holy freakin' moly! I guess that's why it feels like I have pain in my entire back. Both Dakota and I were stunned.

I pulled up a graphic to share and then add comments for your viewing pleasure. Impressive, no? :)




I'm telling you - this is some adventure. And honestly, I'm ready to be done with it now. It's no fun. I'm exhausted from it all and I feel like I've been dealing with this level of intensity for more than (not quite) four weeks. If this is what it will be like than I just want to adjust to this new reality and get back to my life. Done now. Ready to move on, thanks. *sigh*

10 comments:

Brenda said...

Wow! I'm stunned. No wonder you are dealing with so much pain!

Sheri said...

Given that we're both internet junkies for getting our information, I was actually more shocked that it wasn't down lower. I know now that "repetitive" motions aren't your fav (prev blog), but did the dr mention if massage or anything else would help relieve some symptoms? Just curious.

Unknown said...

At least you now know why you are in so much pain! I hope it all gets fixed very soon! I feel for you, it is so hard taking care of children when you cant use your back! Jeri

Anonymous said...

Wow! Casey that is huge! Do you think it would be possible to drain that thing if this "flare up" doesn't go away on its own? Our thoughts are with you. Lynn and Di

Lynilu said...

Geez, that's some cyst! It is no wonder you had/have problems! Yeah, I'm curious, too, about what can be done for it.

I apparently have a pinched nerve. I had some sharp tingling in 3 toes of my left foot on Monday. If I sat or stood still, it was more frequent. I found that if I laid down or sat in the recliner, it seemed to relieve the pinch. So I took advantage of having a lazy day! I know, I need to, and I will, see a doctor.

Monogram Queen said...

Wow! I guess it "could" have been worse - but not by much!

PT-LawMom said...

Holy crapoly! I'll keep sending shrinking cyst vibes and prayers your direction. Hope the numbness/tingling/other symptoms improve soon.

Unknown said...

Pretty soon you'll be an expert on back injuries and ailments...So sorry you have to become one. Thanks for the diagram; it is really fascinating to see that.

Stacey said...

I hope it gets all fixed soon. {{{healing vibes}}}

Dee said...

Wow! I'm amazed. I hope your feeling better soon.