Monday, January 07, 2008

Shop Till You Drop Weekend

It's been a wild weekend around here. Saturday Dakota, the kids and I spent ten hours away from the house - most of that time was filled with shopping. I have no idea what we were thinking and honestly, I was totally shocked when we did the math on the hours we had those poor little munchkins out and about and all things considered, they did outstanding but it was no wonder that they fell into the beds without so much as a whimper!

Dakota and I had some Christmas money burning holes in our pockets. The money had strict instructions that we were to spend it on ourselves so, for once, I actually planned to do just that. Usually when I receive money as a gift I put it in the checking account and we use it to do regular family things like going out to eat or paying bills or I just go right out and spend it on the kids. I rarely ever have spent gift money on myself. Maybe it has something to do with my birthday being right at Christmas and the fact that the budget is stretched thin by then but this time I had a mission of spending it on myself.

It took about four hours but I finally found something that sparked my interest. A pair of black boots....with a heel. Now if you know me in real life you know that is unusual for me but I loved that pair of boots so much that I couldn't resist. Yes, the $60 price tag ($90 regularly) gave me pause but I forged ahead anyway. I can't tell you the last time I spent more than $30 on a pair of shoes for myself. Oh wait - yes I can. In 2000 I bought three pair of Dansko clogs (one pair which I still have and wear. I finally wore the first pair out last year and I gave one almost new pair away because they never fit exactly right.)

My new boots are so freakin' cute!!! I love, love, love them. And it started a shopping frenzy for me. From there it was a quick hop to a really cute shirt, sweater and blazer-type jacket and then an even shorter leap to a new leather jacket (black and much more grown up looking than my brown short waisted leather jacket). It's been so long since I bought new clothes (well, besides a few Old Navy t-shirts here and there and the outfit I wore to my mom's funeral) but that is due mostly to the fact that I get into the stores and can't seem to find anything that I like. But I scored fairly well this weekend! Yay me!!

And since I was on a roll, I even purchased new mascara. I know! I'm living on the edge - someone better stop me!! :) Before you get too excited, it's not like it's from the Jane Iredale line - it's just your run of the mill Cover Girl but hey - it works and I'm all about what works. :)

And you know what I discovered this weekend? I'm going to have a blast finding lawyer-clothes for Dakota. :) As it turns out, I'm quite skilled at dressing her in fancy clothes (for the record, I have always been quite skilled at finding clothes for her - it's just this is new and so much more fun that Dockers, button downs and sweaters). I could pick things out with ease that not only look great on her but that she is comfortable wearing (not easy when she is someone who would much rather shop in the guys department). And I have to say - she looks good in her new lawyer clothes! :)

But then - I look pretty darn good in my new black boots and leather jacket, too! :)

10 comments:

Brenda said...

10 hours of shopping!?! WoW! Sounds like you scored some great buys!!

Sheri said...

Can't wait to see you modelling your new boots & jacket! Tomorrow maybe???

Shannon said...

Good for you for buying stuff for yourself! Sounds like a fun and successful shopping trip.

Audra said...

wow! you've sure got me beat! i have a pair of dansko's- they are heaven for my feet!

I also went out and splurged on new outfits. I had been feeling so blah in everything I had. What a great way to perk myself up lol

Monogram Queen said...

Wow 10 hours - you are rivaling me woman! So glad you had a good time and bought some stuff for the two of you.

Perrin said...

That must have felt so wonderful. Getting things is such a rare treat these days. Good for you.

Melanie said...

Yay Casey! I'm so glad you "treated" yourself, AND had a good time doing it! Can't wait to see the boots...

Lynilu said...

Wow, that sounds like a heck of an outing!! Bless those kids and their resiliency!!

Glad you found some cool things! I know how good that feels when you find so many at once. Now ... take better care of yourself from now on. Buy, buy, buy!!!!

LOL!!

Holly said...

I am also someone who loves shopping in the guys department and finding fancy lawyer clothes has always been hard for me. Good thing Dakota has you!

Congrats on the boots! I am trying to find a nice (non-cheap) black work boot. It's not as easy as it sounds.

Stacey said...

wow, lots of shopping. it's great when you find stuff you like though.