Friday, January 11, 2008

Busy Busy Day

It's been a very busy day for us. After getting Kelton off to school this morning Kaylen and I headed over to a local coffee shop to meet up with some of the moms and kids from my MOMS Club. I really enjoy our once a month gathering and from the number of people there, many others do as well. The coffee shop has a play area for the kids so we move a bunch of tables together and the moms sit, talk and drink coffee while the kids play and have a morning snack. It's a lot of fun.

Kaylen and I hung out there for a couple of hours and then, since Dakota was home studying (yes, already), we drove to a nearby Big Lots and did a bit of shopping. Big Lots is one of the best places to get inexpensive, fun and cute holiday decorations. I went there with the idea of getting a couple more Valentines Day things (before last year, we had nothing Valentine theme related. Or Easter. Or any other holiday besides Halloween and Christmas. Now that the kids are older, the three of us have a good time decorating the house for all the holidays.) but the Valentine decorations were picked over and not all that great. However....they had started to put out Easter decorations so I scored some really great stuff for next to nothing. I've learned that the earlier you go there to look for holiday stuff, the better chance you have of getting the good stuff. :) And here was a surprise for me - I didn't realize that Easter is early this year. It's March 23rd. Personally, I don't think Easter should be in March but I guess no one really asked me. I read someplace recently that the date of Easter is always the first Sunday after the first full moon after the spring equinox. I found that interesting since I was never aware there was a rhyme or reason to where it fell on the calendar in any given year.

Anyway...after we spent some time at the store we headed over to pick up Kelton from school. Then it was home for a quick lunch before we took the kids to a local play place. Well...kind of local. Local as in the same city - just at the far end of the same city. The kids had a blast and they even had me crawling through the tunnels which was no easy feat given my back (which by the way - today is the 11th anniversary of me breaking my back. Wow.). Dakota and the kids played hard for about two hours - they were all sweaty messes but oh so happy! Kaylen surprised all of us by flying around the structure and coming down some of the fastest slides I've ever seen. It was crazy and so much fun!











Once everyone was completely exhausted we drove over to Pizza Hut for dinner. Kelton participates in a reading program at school that is run by Pizza Hut (Book It) and every month we record 30 of the books that we read to him (or - as is now the case, he is reading to us) and at the end of the month, the kids that turn in their sheet are given a coupon for a free personal pizza. When they turn in their coupons, they get a sticker on their card and once the six stickers are in place they get a trophy (of some kind). We still had the November coupon and today Kelton brought home the coupon for the December list so clearly it was sign that we needed to go to Pizza Hut and turn them in before they were misplaced. It also helped that the Pizza Hut is very near the play place (which also explains why we didn't get to the Pizza Hut last month. It's a long way to go for dinner.)

After dinner we made our way home and it was a quick jump to bath and beds. Surprisingly, for as tired as the kids were, they both took about 15 minutes to fall asleep. I was pretty sure they would be out before their heads hit the pillows. I think that will be the case with Dakota and I once we finally get to that point.

Yep - it was a crazy day but a good one. This weekend promises more of the same.

11 comments:

Froggymama said...

Looks like sooo much fun! I love that you all went down the slides.

Perrin said...

What a fun day for you guys. I love that play place. I have to admit that since my kids are older I can go there with a book and get some quiet time and they have a blast. Thanks for the Big Lots tip. I never go there so I will have to check it out.

Mimi said...

OMG I love the one where Kaylen is coming down the side....heck she looks like she is ready to fly over the side.....toooo cute

Sheri said...

I can't wait to check this place out--it looks like so much fun! I have to admit, though, I'm a bit nervous to go on my own. Maybe we need to plan a group outing!

SassyFemme said...

I so wish we had a little kid to take to one of those play places, they look like a blast!

Lynilu said...

I used to love days like that with my kids. I miss having little ones to play with ... but then I'm OK with not having them most of the time now days!! I would have too much trouble keeping up!

Melanie said...

Was that your first time at Kids Club? FUN, isn't it? Great energy-burner for the kids too! It was so nice to see and visit with you (a little) at Sunrise. Hope you had an equally fun weekend!

Monogram Queen said...

Sounds like you have a wonderful time. Y'all are so much fun!

Stacey said...

You always have so much fun. :) Riley would crazy over that ball pit. LOL

Casey said...

FroggyMama: I have to admit - the slides are way fun! :)

Perrin: I can't wait until my two are ok about going off to play so I can read - that sounds great!

Mimi: Those slides are incredibly slick - she really was flying! After that ride, she requested someone to catch her at the bottom for a few times. I can't blame her. :)

Sheri: With the 3 year olds, you pretty much have to go in with them which makes it a lot of work for the moms....but it's fun, too! I'm sure your guy would be happy with the lower to ground activities so you probably wouldn't have to crawl through the tunnels. :)

SassyFemme: They are a HUGE blast! Come on over and I'll let you go play with my kids. :)

Lynilu: Heck - *I* have trouble keeping up with them somedays! :)

Melanie: Oh no - it wasn't the first time. We took Kelton there a few times when he was smaller and Kaylen's been twice - once in her infant carrier and once about a year or so ago. Love it! We just don't get there too often.

Patti: Thanks. Sometimes we are. :)

Stacey: I bet she would love it! I saw that she has a ball pit in her room - very cool! Kelton had one of those when he was about her age and he loved it so much. :)

Audra said...

I love the look on Kaylens face flying down that green slide- classic!!

Wow! they had the reading is fun pizza hut coupons when I was in school, it was also so much fun to get those coupons!