Saturday, January 26, 2008

Medical Drama

So - here is what has been going on with me medically over the past couple of weeks. I've been having tingling in my legs and pretty awful back pain. Last Sunday night while watching a movie the tingling zipped up my entire right side two times and when it started the 3rd time we decided that I should go to the ER to be looked at. It was 10pm. Ugh. Dakota stayed with the sleeping children and her sister and brother in-law took me over to the hospital. Four hours and a complete stroke work up later (even though I kept insisting that it had to come from my back), I was released with instructions to see a neurologist within the week. The and tingling had settled back down and returned to my legs.

Monday went well enough with the tingling and pain remaining in my legs and back. The tingling would all but disappear when I was moving around. I was thinking herniated disk or something. Logical assumption as I've been having new back pain in the middle of my back since October and was even seen in November for it when it got to the point where sitting hurt too much. I was told I didn't need an x-ray, given a brochure on exercises and a prescription for pain medication. I took the pain meds at night but they never really helped.

Monday night I was waking often to find my legs were tingling. Tuesday morning my legs tingled (much more intensely then before) even after moving around for an hour so I called the neuro office I had made an appointment with (for Jan 31st as no one had openings for this past week) to see if someone could see me soon (she found an opening on Friday and I booked that). As I was talking on the phone, my arms started to tingle. The nurse suggested I go to the ER room which Dakota agreed with.

We found someone to take Kelton to school and pick him up again, someone to stay with Kaylen (Grandma came to the rescue) and a friend to drive me to the ER (Thanks Sheri!) all while trying to not panic because well - you know our heads went to worst case scenario. Things was all changing so quickly! Dakota left her job and met me at the ER where we spent the rest of the day.

The upshot of the visit was the on-call neuro was the guy I had been scheduled to see so he went ahead and ordered the MRI that he would have ordered after seeing me anyway. Great - we'll be ahead of the game for the Friday appointment.

I couldn't take the stress of not knowing what, if anything, the scan showed so Wednesday afternoon I called the office insisting I be told *something*. I just had to know because we were so afraid it was going to be something bad.

No tumor. No words ever sounded sweeter to me. The nurse (who was relaying the message from the doc) said that there is, however, a syrinx which explains the symptoms. I asked what that was and she replied that she really didn't know. I asked her to spell it for me and after hanging up I hit the good ol' Google and called Dakota while I waited for pages to load. We both Googled from our computers sharing info as we read.

A syrinx (aka: syringomyelia) is a fluid filled cyst that is inside the spinal column and it puts pressure on the nerves.

Upon meeting with the neurologist yesterday (who we both really liked!) we were reassured that it is most likely a result of the trauma sustained when I broke my back 11 years ago. It is putting pressure on nerves causing the numbness and tingling I am currently experiencing as well as other medical symptoms I have been experiencing since last summer - including the side pain that I had thought was my gall bladder. Relatively speaking, it is small and since it isn't causing significant neurological problems we are adopting the wait and carefully watch approach (if it gets to the point of causing problems neurologically, then surgery would be necessary).

Hopefully this is just a flare up and things will settle back down. To be sure there are no other contributing factors, I will have another MRI study done next week (in an open MRI - thank goodness!) and then we will probably meet with a neurosurgeon for a second opinion (which was the neurologists suggestion). Providing nothing surprising shows up, I will follow up with the neuro doc in a few weeks, then a few weeks after that, then a couple months after that and so on until we only check in every year. We'll cross the bridge with what to do about the numbness and tingling if it doesn't resolve on its own at a later point.

So - all in all - this is really, really good news. The tingling and pain suck but given the alternative - I'll take it AND I feel vindicated about the stuff that has been happening in my body for almost a year. Once the pieces of the puzzle started coming together Dakota and I were able to ask "What about this thing? What about that one?" and the doc shook his head and said "All related."

All related. Somehow just knowing that gives me great peace of mind.

So - now we know and now we can deal with it.

It's been an exhausting week around here but I think it's fair to say we all slept better last night. :)

21 comments:

Unknown said...

Casey,
So sorry to hear that you have been going through this but I'm so very glad that it isn't being caused by something much worse. How great that you were able to see the neuro and get a jump on things when you went to the ER. Hoping that your symptoms resolve very quickly.
Huge hugs to all of you!
Jennifer
PS Sorry I've been so out of touch lately!

SJayneI said...

Wow. It must really be a relief to know where those scary symptoms are coming from. Good luck!

Anonymous said...

This is good news. Although I am sorry you have not been feeling well I am glad to hear that it is nothing urgent. I will be praying for all the tests to be normal.

Heidi

Lynilu said...

Things that you can't explain away are frightening. I'm glad this is relatively minor and apparently not something to be worried about.

I'm happy you were able to hurry some things ahead. The waiting of the medical world is just grueling. While I wait to hear test results, I "worry up" a whole new set of problems!!

Good luck on all of this, Casey. :)

Audra said...

I am so sorry you've been under the weather! But so happy that they now know what is going on.

Dee said...

Scary stuff. I'm glad they got it figured out. Hopefully things go well from this point. Good luck!

Shannon said...

That must have been so scary. I'm so glad you've got some answers and that it's not something really scary. Sucks that you're having the pain and tingling but hopefully that subsides. It's great that you've now got an answer as to why other things were going on too.

Mimi said...

So are they going to do anything or do you have to just handle the pain????? hummmmm

Casey said...

Jenn: Thanks and yes, I'm very glad it isn't being caused by something worse too!

sjaynei: A relief, yes. Thanks!

Heidi: I am so glad to see you back! I was getting worried about you since you haven't commented in a while. I was going to email you but I no longer have your email address it would seem. I think it's on the old computer. :( And thank you - I will take any and all prayers!

Lynilu: Thank you! And yes, it's minor compared with what it could be but still big concern. But considering what it *could* haev been - we're feeling pretty lucky!

Audra: Thanks! I'm glad to know what is going on because it does give us some stress relief.

Dee: Good to hear from you! Life must be keeping you busy with that little one of yours. :) Thanks for the good wishes.

Shannon: I am definitely hoping ti subsides because not only is is painful at time and annoying almost always it's also extremely exhausting. The weirdest of all sensations is when patches/areas will get cold deep inside. The best way to describe it is think of putting BenGay on your skin in a large area. Once the hot part wears off you are left with the cold sensation - well, that's how some of this feels (besides the numbness and tingling). That is the part that drives me crazy the most right now. Ick! And there is no way to predict where it will show up next. Right now it's across my upper back. Ugh!

Mimi: For now it's handle the pain and all that goes along. They can put me on anti-seizure meds which apparently have a great success rate in nerve stuff however I do not want to take anti-seizure meds. (personal reasons being that my mom took anti-seizure meds for years and I saw the long term effects. No thank you!) The doc said we could try other things that aren't as well proven and I am opting to wait and see how this all plays out. Hopefully things will settle down and/or I will just learn to cope (I have constant back pain anyway which I've gotten used to - this is just a new level of pain with a few extra bonuses thrown in for good measure). So there are things they can give me but at this point I would rather not (and pain meds don't relaly work on nerve-related pain). I am going to look into acupuncture, etc though. I figure it can't really hurt.

Thanks everyone for your comments - you made my night! :)

Caroline said...

OH Casey I am so sorry to hear about this. Sending you lots of hugs!!!!

Sheri said...

Keep thinking those good thoughts ... and enjoy the weekend! I'm still praying for snow :-)

momtothreeboys said...

Well, the grand scheme of things, this is good news! Glad to hear it's not something, well, much more serious.
Take Care.

Julie said...

Oh my goodness! I'm glad to hear everything is going to be alright. If you ever need anything, please give me a call.

PT-LawMom said...

Thank goodness you got such quick and definite answers to what was wrong. It sounds like you're in the right hands with a good treatment plan for now. I'm glad. I was worried when Dakota posted about you. I'll send lots of healing/shrinking vibes your spines' way. Spunky, vivacious little kids need happy, healthy mommies, right? :) Feel better soon.

Perrin said...

That's scary stuff. I hope you syptoms ease up soon. I'm glad you got some answers though.

Monogram Queen said...

I am glad the outcome was good. That is a scary thing to go through. "Tumor" strikes fear in the heart doesn't it?

Jen said...

Oh, thank goodness. I was getting so scared, reading through your post. You two must have been terrified.

I hope all that tingling goes away soon. It sounds yucky -- reminds me of getting my epidural and what a yucky electric shock feeling it was before they got it inserted right. That has to be distracting, too.

I'm so glad things are looking up -- at least you have some information!

yankeegirl said...

Hooray for good news! ((hugs))

Froggymama said...

Very good news. :)

Tracey said...

I'm so sorry you've been having all this mystery tingling, but knowing what it is must be a relief. Take care of yourself and your body!!!

Gandksmom said...

Casey - I so know what you are going through, but I have no answers. The leg that has hurt since I had my surgery (almost the same surgery as yours) stopped working and I had no feeling in it last Tuesday. Went straight into the hospital for 5 days where the ortho proceeded to tell me that it wasn't from the surgery, it was a neuro problem, the neuro told me it was ortho!! I feel your pain. I really do...and tingling too...