Thursday, January 10, 2008

Tornado Warning?

Ok seriously? We had a tornado warning in effect for a while this afternoon. A tornado? Really? We don't live in tornado country. Earthquake country, yes but a tornado? No way. That's just crazy talk! And yet - there I was this a bit ago talking with a friend on the phone while we both watched breaking news and tried to strategize on finding a safe spot for the kids and ourselves.

Random thoughts went through my mind; how do I keep the kids safe in the bathroom (the recommended spot to go) when one wall is a giant mirror? How do I contain Jordan (our Dalmatian) in the bathroom with us? What about the cats? How can this be really happening? Why don't I have more term life insurance? Where now have the funnel clouds been spotted and how far away from my neighborhood is that?

We were fortunate. Our neighborhood (and my friends) were not touched. That isn't true for some other areas but I admit to switching off the news reports as soon as I heard it had moved east of us and we were no longer in danger. I had dealt with all the stress I could handle for that 20 minute window.

Too, too scary!

4 comments:

Sheri said...

Seriously??? Where was I when this warning came out ... hmm, probably standing in front of my breakfast nook windows. I'm glad it was just a warning.

fairydogmother said...

Yikes! I am in the Seattle area and first heard of the tornado on the news this evening. Glad it was nowhere near your neighborhood!

Also, as a PNW native I didn't even realize we even had tornadoes in Western Washington.

Unknown said...

Since I am in safe Arizona, and my husband in Washington, he let me know about the tornados! How completely scary. One touched down about four blocks from his work, and two more touched down one block from his work. How scary is that!??! Glad I wasnt there, I would have been freaked out completely. I have never lived in a place that has tornados, earthquakes, etc. Only heat stroke, hehe. Glad everyone was ok! Jeri

Monogram Queen said...

Tornadoes.. earthquakes.. all equally inspire panic in me! Be safe