Wednesday, September 01, 2010

The First Day of School

Well. It's almost over now but today was the first day of school. Kelton woke early, very excited about his day but little Miss Kaylen needed to be woken and she was not excited. She was quiet and reserved and then completely lost it while eating breakfast.

She didn't want to go. She didn't want to be away from me for so long. I reminded her that she had been away from me for whole weekends to which she replied "But I always had a mom with me!" My poor little girl was beyond all reason. I text'd Dakota and she called but it didn't help. I finally picked up my baby girl and carried her to my bed where I cuddled her and talked softly until the tears stopped. She quietly whispered "I think I'd feel better if I could take a buddy with me."

BINGO!

"You can!" I told her. Let's pick out someone special and you can keep them in your backpack for the whole day. She picked out a little stuffed turtle, placed it in her pack and ran off to get dressed. Crisis averted!

Phew! I have to say, it's hard for this mommy to say and do all the things I know I need to say and do to make them feel safe when really all I want to do is pick them up, cuddle them and keep them from what scares them. I do the right things and say all the right things - but inside, I hate it.

Soon enough Dakota arrived for the annual first day of school pictures. In no time at all, the bus arrived and they were off. We followed to the school to get them settled but Kelton is waaaaaay too cool for that now (just another sign that we raised him well and he is an independent kid who is doing ok) and when we went to walk Kaylen, she bounced ahead and said "I'll walk myself, too."

"Oh no you won't!" I said, as I took her hand. She settled in quickly and we were on our way. With tears streaming down MY face. *sigh* it was hard to walk away from my baby.

Dakota dropped me back at the house and we talked about how fast they have grown. She left for work and I took a bit to have a good cry.

A while later I was out and about so I drove by the school. I saw Kaylen's teacher taking the kids to the music room so I pulled into the parking lot. I was able to wave at Kaylen who looked so happy....and so big! And then I drove around and caught up with her teacher 9who I know well). I rolled down the window and called her name. She came over and I asked how Kaylen was doing and she said "She's doing great! Did you think she wouldn't?" I recounted the morning meltdown and she said "No - if you hadn't told me I would have had no idea. She seems very happy and is helping other kids learn to sit criss-cross applesauce. She even raises her hand to talk. I just need her to learn not to talk just because she put her hand up." :) That's my girl! :)

I was greatly relieved to know she was doing so well. I can't wait until the bus pulls up in 15 minutes so I can hug them both and hear all about their first day!










2 comments:

Tanya said...

Awwww so sweet!!! I'm so glad they both did so well.

Anonymous said...

It is hard, isn't it? Can't wait to hear the details of their days. :)
Jennifer