Friday, September 03, 2010

Individual Health Plan

Kaylen starting school brings with it special concerns for her health and safety. This, of course, calls for MUCH faith on my part. Yesterday the school nurse and I worked out Kaylen's Individual Health Plan for both her mild sensory disorders and her Pallid Breath Holding Spells.

I feel better knowing that there are copies of the plan with every adult who will have Kaylen in their care and another copy sitting at the front desk. The upshot is; if it happens at school, they are calling 911 immediately and then me and then Dakota.

I have to say, as a mother to a child with medical concerns, sending them off to school is it's own special hell and challenge. Not unlike leaving her in the care of a babysitter. I can't wait for the day when we can say "She used to have that but she has finally outgrown it!" Until then, I just have to go on faith.

2 comments:

Tribe Mama said...

I know where you are coming from and can appreciate your concern, it is so so scary. We found out about Haven's severe nut allergy the June before she started K and then the epilepsy was diagnosed at the start of 3rd. It is hard to put them in someone elses care for such a long period of time, but it sounds like the school is ready and prepared. We get the stuff together every year, the epi-pens, the meds, the emergency contacts, etc....and I am happy to say she just started 5th grade and we have never been called for anything severe, just normal kids stuff! She will be great and I am sure they will take good care of her :)

Tanya said...

It's really awesome that the school is being so great with it. I'm afraid if there are sensory issues with J that they will kind of just blow it off.