Tuesday, November 17, 2009

A Long Time Coming

You have no idea how long I have waited to see this:


Kelton, happily snuggled into a pile of blankets and stuffed buddies, reading a book on his own. This scene is akin to Christmas morning for me! For years now I have waited and longed for the day when he would sit next to me: me reading my book and him reading his. He's been a great reader for a long time but he hadn't really found the joy of of just sitting down to read for the fun of it. In the past couple of weeks he has and it brings me a level of happiness I cannot explain.

We have read him books since before he was born and rarely have we missed a day in the past 7.5 years. We love to read and we hoped this love of reading would trickle down through the kids and now that it has started....I'm over the moon!

My kid loves to read! My kids loves to read!

I'm not silly enough to think that a love of reading will overshadow his love of his DS or Wii but I'm hoping it goes right to the top of the list to share equal billing.

Watching the kids grow bigger and older is bittersweet but this? This is the sweet part!

YAY! Read on, Kelton!

4 comments:

sally said...

Casey, you and Dakota have given Kelton one of the best gifts that he will ever receive-the ability to read-this will open any door that he wishes.
sally
sallys ramble.blogspot.com

Caroline said...

I can only imagine how you are feeling, but I do know it is probably one of the greatest feelings to see your child reading and loving it. When I was young I was so desperate to want to read that I would take a book and just pretend like I was reading. Once I finally could read I was thrilled. What kind of books does Kelton like to read? If I ever have kids the first books they will be reading will be the Little House books. They are so wonderful for both boys and girls.

Casey said...

Sally: Thanks! :)

Caroline: Right now he is reading the Jake Drake series (last night he was finishing up s Gironimo Stilton book (it's Christmas themed). I haven't brought up the Little House books mostly because I don't think he would like them (he likes typical boy themed books: Tales of a 4th Grade Nothing, Ralph Mouse, etc.) but I know Kaylen will love them when she starts reading.

Froggymama said...

Hurray!!!!! Was it you who also loved the book, "The Boxcar Children." I cannot wait to read it to Froggy.