Saturday, November 21, 2009

Ho Ho...whatever

The kids and I were going to decorate the house for Christmas today but once the boxes were down from the attic yesterday afternoon a certain little 4 year old started begging to get started right away. I hung up a few easy (and non-child friendly) decorations and then we waited for Kelton to arrive home from school.

As it turns out, we didn't have to wait. The only thing he was interested in unpacking were the nutcrackers. I could have guessed that one.

Kaylen and I worked on the fireplace but I realized as I opened up the boxes that I wasn't really in the mood to pull out everything this year. So I dug through the 6 or so boxes and pulled out about half the stuff and just went ahead and did it all. Decorating normally takes hours (taking into account the children "helping") but this year it was done and the boxes back in the attic in 2 hours. (The tree isn't up yet. That will wait a couple more weeks which is our tradition.)

Am I happy with the result? Eh. Not really. But I don't think that's a reflection on the decorating or the decorations. Something is missing. I don't know what - but something isn't right. The kids seem happy with it and I guess that's all that matters.






In other news, I took the children to Kids Club this morning to let them run wild for a few hours. After they were sweaty, tired messes; I took them to the mall because I knew there was a H1N1 clinic happening and they were immunizing Kelton's age group (Kaiser, for some reason, is not.). The line moved quickly and we were out of there and on our way in less than 20 minutes.

After that, I took them to Build-A-Bear Workshop and they each picked out an outfit for one of their bears who were waiting at home. Kaylen picked out a fairy (complete with wings) outfit and a fishing pole and fish (That's right. I defy you to put this child in a box. She is her own person.) and Kelton picked out a pair of Christmas pajamas and a magician's hat, rabbit and wand.

They were talking with each other and kept saying "This is the best day ever, isn't it? Yep - the best day ever."

Apparently I'm done now because how can you top that? Too bad there are still hours to go before bedtime.

4 comments:

Mimi said...

Just wait til the kids are older....you won’t want to put up ANY decorations…..I’m terrible……

Tina said...

WOW!! 20min!! That's awesome! David's cold caught up with him, so we went to lunch and then home for a long nap.
So, where can I stalk you tomorrow?

Casey said...

Mimi: the thing is - I LOVE decorations. I love how festive things look and I have a great time putting them up and making the house look great. It's just....I don't know. Not there this year. *shrug* Oh well. Some days are like that I suppose.

Tina: My couch. :) No really - I don't have plans for tomorrow. Just reading the paper, drinking coffee and then...well...all the regular stuff of being a mom.

Audra said...

I feel you. Only we can't even put up decorations :( And once we move into the new place, we'll only have 3 days until Christmas! So I won't even be able to put stuff up at the new place.