Tuesday, November 03, 2009

Fever Boy

Kelton's fever dropped yesterday by late morning. I watched it through the evening hours and put him to bed confident that he was fever free but knowing I would need to keep him home today to follow the "24 hour fever free" rule.

Today dawned with a child who was fever free and active though without much appetite. By 9AM I was half joking with Dakota that come 11AM I would be free to take the kids and go somewhere. I wasn't going to, of course, but it was nice to think I *could*. Being locked in the house by choice is MUCH different than being here because we *have* to be.

On hour 23 I notice that Kelton's cheeks are rosy again. I felt his head and he felt quite warm though my hands are freezing this time of year so it could have just been that, right?

Come on - hope with me, ok?

I popped the thermometer, which seems to now live in the kitchen counter next to the bottle of rubbing alcohol and cotton balls, into Kelton's mouth and watched as the numbers move swiftly past his "normal" of 97.3 and 97.6. It moves past 98, past 99 and settles in a bit above 100.

WHAT?!?!?!?!

And there it sits.

I emailed with his doctor yesterday and she advises just to watch him but if the fever goes to 101 and stays there for a length of time then Kelton should be seen.

I wish this fever-piece would end now. I can handle colds and the like. I can handle 24 hour viruses of all kinds but the lingering, bouncing fever unnerves me.

Go away fever...and stay away.

1 comment:

Caroline said...

Gee....you guys can't catch a break, can you? I hope he feels better real soon.